General Discussion :  Wet Plate Collodion Photography Forum The fastest message board... ever.       
Wet Plate Collodion Photography Forum 
Shooting outside in winter
Posted by: charlesl ()
Date: November 08, 2012 12:43PM

Hello-
I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to keep chemistry warm with a portable darkroom when one has to develop plates outside during the winter and cannot go indoors.

Thanks,
Charles

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shooting outside in winter
Posted by: Ty G ()
Date: November 08, 2012 02:52PM

Keep a couple plates and your collodion pour bottle in your jacket pocket to keep warm. I've done fine down to below freezing with everything else cold. Beware the floating ice in the rinse water; I've had the ice piece rip the collodion when pulling plate from the water.

www.guillorycameras.com

Posted by: charlesl ()
Date: November 09, 2012 08:06PM

ok, thanks Ty,
will do

Posted by: RobertSzabo ()
Date: November 14, 2012 05:51PM

Ive shot for up to a half day with temps in the teens. I put my developer and silver bottles in a cooler with hot water. You do have to pour the silver back into to the bottle to rewarm it in the cooler when it gets too cold to work. This has worked well for me when traveling around from location to location.

Just make sure the chemistry isnt too hot when you go to use it.

I will also heat the plexi baths before putting the chemistry in them with hot water. Also be careful doing this. If the water is too hot it can break the seams apart on the cold containers. I know because Ive done that.

As already suggested putting the plates in your pocket can help. It doesnt take long to heat a plate in an inside pocket of your coat. Of course this could be difficult if your shooting big plates. Unless you have a Capt Kangaroo coat smiling smiley

Posted by: Iancathcart ()
Date: January 16, 2013 11:53PM

Shot today in 32 degrees. it was fun!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.