General Discussion :  Wet Plate Collodion Photography Forum The fastest message board... ever.       
Wet Plate Collodion Photography Forum 
15 inch Darlot Portrait Lens
Posted by: Iancathcart ()
Date: July 07, 2012 01:53PM

Found a beast of a Darlot (15 inch FL) in a quaint little shop run by nice people. Got an unmarked 6 inch Petzval too. Anyone run into a piece of glass that big before???? Are there bigger ones??

I

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 15 inch Darlot Portrait Lens
Posted by: ccharrison ()
Date: July 09, 2012 11:24AM

There are bigger lenses out there - in the 20-30 inch FL range

see [antiquecameras.net]

Dan

Posted by: profkleindorf ()
Date: July 09, 2012 05:37PM

I could use a 5 or 6 inch FL petzval for an original camera I have. How much did they let it go for??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2012 05:38PM by profkleindorf.

Posted by: RobertSzabo ()
Date: July 10, 2012 05:50PM

Most of the Darlots Ive seen are no longer than around 11 inches. Ill bet that lens will cover 11x14 or better.

Date: July 10, 2012 11:20PM

To answer Mr. Profkleindorf. It really depends on who is offering the lens. It seems like they can be had
For between 150 to 200. 'Most of the time its more!!! I can find them on the cheaper range
Only when a person doesn't know that they are still good for a purpose. On about 95%
Of them I had to buy other pieces that were being sold as group. This tended to jack the price
Up. You will mostly find ones meant for projection. You can make disc stops for these. I am currently
Trying to find another matching lens for the six inch so I can have a stereo pair. I am toying with
Building a stereo camera with two smaller petzvals in a sliding box format. Main tip, look around and keep
Looking!!!! Lately, I've been acquiring a new lens a month at reasonable rates. I only buy it If I can find
A use for it. Also, I always try to test and disassemble the lens before purchase (no cracks or distortion in glass). I found a nice lens from Earle, williams, and brown a few months back, but the back had a hairline crack across it. Not worth the $350 asking price. I hope this helps!!!!! Post back with any questions!!!!

Posted by: profkleindorf ()
Date: July 11, 2012 05:24PM

I think the days of $40 lenses on ebay are long over, thats about what I payed for my 6"FL petzval lens nine years ago. Much too sad.

Posted by: sean ()
Date: July 12, 2012 12:16PM

I paid £100 (about $150) for a Dallmeyer 3B eleven years ago, and about £250 for a 3A at the same time, both with flanges, - happy days!

Date: July 12, 2012 03:45PM

What does a lens by an average maker, or unmarked lens go for these
days?? I never ran into the open market scenario to buy any of my lenses.
I've been pretty lucky!!! How about by fl...

6inch
8inch
11inch
15inch

Just curious....

I.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.