General Discussion :  Wet Plate Collodion Photography Forum The fastest message board... ever.       
Wet Plate Collodion Photography Forum 
black precipitate upon development
Posted by: phuphuphnik ()
Date: June 17, 2012 01:33AM

Tried some pictures today at a small event I frequent, but the images were a bit washed out and very contrasty. In addition, during sevelopment there was a black precipitate on the plate that washed right off.

I suspect several things; one, I had only 2 hours of sleep, my silver bath is quite in need of care, and my developer was not as fresh as it could of been Plus I think I may have a light leak in my plate holder. The last would explain how I have an image with a light fog over the plate.

I had a good time, and was set up mostly to talk and not shoot this event.
On the good side, I didn't have anything stolen, and someone who I donated a picture to last year came this year and gave me an *old* bottle of whale oil, and some beaver oil.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: black precipitate upon development
Posted by: RobertSzabo ()
Date: June 18, 2012 05:11PM

Ive gotten black precipitate in my silver bath when I accidentally used my fixer bath for the silver once. I was using sodium thiosulfate at the time and the container wasnt rinsed well.

Was your silver bath exposed to direct sunlight? I always pour in and out of the storage bottle in subdued light unless the bath is new. Organic matter in the bath will turn black. If that happens you need to sun the bath.

Good that you got out though. Still sorry to hear about losing the lens I was hoping you would have gotten it back some how.

Date: June 19, 2012 12:23PM

> Good that you got out though. Still sorry to hear
> about losing the lens I was hoping you would have
> gotten it back some how.

Thanks, I really appreciate that!smileys with beer

I'll be sunning the silver today, then try some shots tomorrow.
cheers!
chriso

Posted by: RobertSzabo ()
Date: June 21, 2012 02:36AM

You are using dark glass or brown plastic containers for the silver right? Again not a problem when its new but after being used for a while it can be.

Date: June 24, 2012 01:12PM

Yes I am. My silver stock (virgin, never had a plate through it) is in clear glass, but in a dark cabnet. Going back on days this week, so I'll be shooting some. We'll see what happens.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.