General Discussion :  Wet Plate Collodion Photography Forum The fastest message board... ever.       
Wet Plate Collodion Photography Forum 
What is the "signature" of a CC Harrison lens that I've been hearing about?
Posted by: Iancathcart ()
Date: May 23, 2012 09:12PM

Also, was double whole plate the biggest lens they made? It appears, according to my research, that most of the lenses were made for smaller sizes 7 inches and smaller in back focus. Was this because dag plates tended to be smaller? With my six inch back focus, what could I cover? Im guessing it would be a quarter plate full cover and I would get vignetting with anything bigger. What's your experience with it? I am trying to plan my strategies before I take pictures (get some theory knocked in there). I know all lenses could produce different results.

I

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What is the "signature" of a CC Harrison lens that I've been hearing about?
Posted by: RobertSzabo ()
Date: May 24, 2012 03:08AM

Your lens may cover half plate. Check the size of the circle it projects. Im not sure how big Harrison went. I had an 8x10 Harrison at one time. I really didnt like it. It didnt look anything like my half plate lens. It had a sweet spot in the middle and then went completely out of focus outside the sweet spot. If you know these Petzvals you might be thinking the elements were put together wrong but they werent. It was put together wrong when I got it and after putting them in correctly it got better but not by much. My half plate Harrison falls off but it does it gradually.

Posted by: Petzval Paul ()
Date: May 24, 2012 03:32PM

I think I remember seeing a 24" CCH at some point. As you have correctly noted, most dags were quite small so 1/4 plate lenses are probably the easiest upon which to stumble. Early lenses are bit unpredictable so their IQ's can differ between examples. I would say that a 6" lens would cover a 4 x 5 plate at most distances, but not much more than that.

Posted by: Ty G ()
Date: May 29, 2012 02:49AM

I have personally seen a huge CC H. We played with it on a buddy's 20x24 I built.

www.guillorycameras.com

Posted by: goamules ()
Date: May 30, 2012 05:18PM

All the earliest Petzvals had more falloff towards the edges, due to a more curved field. They were fast, so that also brings in swirls, usually.

Here is a shot from my 6" (about 4.5" back focus) on halfplate. Your 8" lens will definately cover halfplate. I like CC Harrisons a lot.

And I just found a halfplate I took with my 8":

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2012 05:25PM by goamules.

Posted by: Iancathcart ()
Date: May 30, 2012 08:50PM

Those are some nice pics!!!! Was Harrison the best of the American makers? how did the others stack up?

Thanks,

I

Posted by: RobertSzabo ()
Date: May 31, 2012 01:52AM

I think there were many good lens makers and many from New York. There are a lot of NY Makers that arent as well known as Harrison and HB&H but they were very good too. Hard to give an answer to a question like this. Its kind of like is Ferrari better than Lamborghini. smiling smiley

Also... Ive been told by others that can afford to try different lenses that they are not all the same. You can get a bad Harrison. Or so Ive been told.

Posted by: Ty G ()
Date: May 31, 2012 02:33PM

I have a theory about the New York lenses. I have messed with quite a few of them, and some at the same time. I think HBH and CC had optics made by the different makers, but I swear the brass was made by the same maker. My theory is that HBH and CC made their own optics and contracted out the brasswork. The other NY maker (Parker, I think) also looks the same.

Date: May 31, 2012 04:14PM

Chapman seems to have made lenses for a few ny companies as well. Palmer & Longking and a supplier named E.A. Perry both sold what seems to be rebranded Chapmans. Other companies such as Willard, Fitz, Usner, and others seem to have such similar brass work that you have to wonder if they weren't all getting the barrels done by the same person/company. As far as glass goes, they are pretty comparable. Still, CCH had the best reputation back then and pretty much still does.

Posted by: goamules ()
Date: May 31, 2012 06:00PM

CCH learned lens grinding from one of the greats, I have to look at my notes to recall who. But CCH glass is made by CCH, under the direction of Richard Morrison, the shop foreman who went on to make his own lenses later. Harrison and Schnitzer also invented the Globe landscape lens. He also patented an early iris. Morrison went on after Harrison died and made a lot of great lenses too. I'd say CCH were the most skilled makers mid 1800s.

Usner was also an optician who ground glass for HBH and a couple others. The jury is still out on who made the glass for some of the other, more obscure makers. I've used a lot of these NY lenses, and haven't had a bad one. I have had a few bad Jamin/Darlots. By bad I mean not as sharp as they should be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2012 06:02PM by goamules.

Date: June 01, 2012 04:47PM

CCH was Henry Fitz's shop foreman before he split to do his own thing, around 1849 IIRC.

Posted by: ccharrison ()
Date: June 24, 2012 10:11AM

I just wrote a CC Harrison blog post that may be of interest to readers here:

Antique & Classic Camera Blog

Thanks
Dan

Posted by: ccharrison ()
Date: August 26, 2012 11:37AM

Hi

I posted another blog entry on CC Harrison.

Thanks
Dan

Antique & Classic Camera Blog

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2012 11:38AM by ccharrison.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.