General Discussion :  Wet Plate Collodion Photography Forum The fastest message board... ever.       
Wet Plate Collodion Photography Forum 
Bored
Posted by: sean ()
Date: April 24, 2011 06:01PM

I am sitting here, unable to move much as I had the misfortune to have spent the last six weeks in hospital after having had my hip broken by a young woman reversing her car down a one way street.

To make matters worse almost nothing is being posted on my favorite forum, I can't access the other one having been banned from it.

One thing I did manage to do was to buy on ebay an 11 1/2", f3.6, C.Burr of London No.3 Portrait Lens on ebay for a measly £220 ($366).

Serial number 4622 must date from about 1861 or 1862, the firm was founded in in 1858.

I anticipated some feverish bidding in the last 30 seconds or so but it didn't happen, and this particular lens, no. 4622 is mentioned in the Lens Vade Mecum.

Where was everyone last Sunday evening?

Seán

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2011 06:33PM by sean.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bored
Posted by: Richard Mellor ()
Date: April 24, 2011 08:28PM

sorry to hearabout your mishap Sean.
I think many of us have to pick our spots for auctions
there is a beautiful simon wing camera on ebay right now.
not much better than that .....wish money was not a issue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2011 08:30PM by Richard Mellor.

Posted by: Petzval Paul ()
Date: April 24, 2011 09:11PM

That is so unfortunate about the accident. I hope that your recovery is swift.
Didn't see that auction but it sounds like it was a real sweet deal. I have more than enough to keep me busy so I am not looking much - mostly just to catch any good deals or to gauge the market.

Weather is getting better so hopefully we'll get to see some more updates and pics soon smiling smiley

- Paul

Posted by: phuphuphnik ()
Date: April 25, 2011 01:49AM

Sorry to hear! I only ever got broken ribs after being run down, I got lucky.
I have been working owl shift at the lab where everything has been sparking, losing vacuum and generally catching fire. Perhaps if the sun ever comes back I'll see if my chemistry is better.
Speedy recovery! Oh, hey if you went to Hospital in Oxford and had an MRI my buddy Dermot has seen your hips!
cheers,
chriso

Posted by: mike o ()
Date: April 27, 2011 06:05PM

Sean,

Sorry to hear about your accident. Recovery from blunt force trauma is almost always longer than we feel that it should be, requiring more work and time as well. Time in hospital although necessary does not feed the soul. So in that regard its good that you are home. I wish you well in your speedy recovery and hope to see you active on this site. I know that I do not post often but I do always read your posts when they appear.

I am most of the way through building my half plate sliding box camera (the lens that you sold me will be used in this camera along with others). I will post photos when all the equipment has been built and I have made my first plate.

Let me know if I can do anything for you, even though I'm an ocean and continent away.

cheers and a speedy recovery,

Mike O

Posted by: goamules ()
Date: April 28, 2011 11:03PM

I hope you finish up your recovery quickly. My last crash was riding mountain bikes with my daughter. I don't ride much, 5-6 times a year the past few. All of a sudden the front wheel went out from in front of me and I was sliding down the path on my side at about 20MPH. You know what goes through my head during the deceleration? "I'm getting two old for this....!"

But it's always fun to study a little optical history or discover a hidden treasure. Last week I found and bought a radial drive Scovill Quick Acting Peerless (by Morrison) from an old collector. I've been very excited about that one. I bet waiting for you Burr lens will get the blood flowing and help speed your recovery!

Garrett

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2011 11:05PM by goamules.

Posted by: Ray Morgenweck ()
Date: April 29, 2011 10:31PM

Too bad you got bammed (like me) from the 'other' forum....lots of bewildered beginners looking for help....very entertaining. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2011 02:25AM by Ray Morgenweck.

Posted by: goamules ()
Date: May 01, 2011 12:05AM

I'm quite surprised anyone was "banned" from the other forum, which is extremely active at times. To those that don't know, Quinn is very accommodating and spent several years of his life on the forum daily, then off to Europe to teach wetplate to many, many people. He ran a lot of workshops and did wetplates in Paris at the big photo fair, contributing all profits to just pay for the booth.

He and a few others started World Wetplate Day http://www.wetplateday.org/ to and went to the ceremony to add a plaque to Archer's unkempt grave site. Again, all profits from selling a book of everyone's work (which he wrote in on his own time, for free) were spent for the marker.

The board often has an influx of new wetplaters. Rather than being "entertained" by their struggles, we try to help them learn and promote the hobby.

I'm sure everyone is welcome over there, if their intent is to be positive, support others, and not have thin skins. Everyone was new at this at some point. Experience is appreciated for a short while, then the newcomer becomes the next "expert." It's the cycle of life...or something.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2011 12:13AM by goamules.

Date: May 01, 2011 07:55AM

Well said Garrett.
I have found it an extremely helpfull forum

Alex

Posted by: sean ()
Date: May 01, 2011 12:08PM

Thin skins are on the other side I'm afraid, I didn't ask to be banned!
Just publicly doubted some assertions from on high.

Seán

Posted by: RobertSzabo ()
Date: May 03, 2011 01:16AM

Sorry to hear about your injury Sean. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Ive been really busy working and havent had much of a chance to even look at the forum.

Dont understand why anyone would ban you. You always welcome here, Just dont cause no trouble!! smiling smiley Just kidding of course. smiling bouncing smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.