General Discussion :  Wet Plate Collodion Photography Forum The fastest message board... ever.       
Wet Plate Collodion Photography Forum 
Real or Reenactment?
Posted by: zmanphoto ()
Date: April 11, 2011 01:48AM

Let's see how everyone does.
[www.parade.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Real or Reenactment?
Posted by: Ray Morgenweck ()
Date: April 11, 2011 02:13AM

that was fun. nineteen out of twenty. number 6...well, children have a unique way of looking more 19th century than ANY reenactor.

good choice of pictures but to the civil war buff who can spot joe hooker or edmund ruffin......

Posted by: BarryS ()
Date: April 11, 2011 10:14PM

20 for 20 smiling smiley For the most part, these weren't too hard to tell apart. The Civil War era images are generally much more haphazard in composition, the contrast is higher (whether through reproduction or plate quality), and the environments are generally more complex--oh yeah, the hair is usually wilder.

The reenactment shots have a better technical quality, the poses and compositions are neater, a little "artiness" creeps in, the soldiers a little less ragged, and the scope of the environments is more controlled and self-contained.

There's also something about the facial expressions--maybe a bit of self-consciousness in reenactors.

Posted by: goamules ()
Date: April 13, 2011 03:41AM

I could also tell because Bob is using a tight petzval on a lot of his shots, which were not used much on the originals. No vignetting, etc.

Date: April 13, 2011 12:43PM

reenactment shots with a better technical quality?

I disagree. (present company included)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2011 07:56PM by Ray Morgenweck.

Posted by: Yaquina ()
Date: April 17, 2011 07:45AM

20 out of 20... oh yeah.

Date: April 17, 2011 11:56AM

My wife got 13 right....

Posted by: mike o ()
Date: April 25, 2011 05:54AM

OK, I'm the new kid on the block so I was only able to get 18 out of twenty. I do not get much exposure to wet plate out here in California though! Nice work Bob! I wish that I could have spent more time with you at the Yosemite with Will last year, hopefully I'll have another opportunity someday.

Posted by: Petzval Paul ()
Date: April 26, 2011 04:01AM

Vote for the skinny people - works every time!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.