General Discussion :  Wet Plate Collodion Photography Forum The fastest message board... ever.       
Wet Plate Collodion Photography Forum 
salvaging silver nitrate mixed with citric acid....
Posted by: Ray Morgenweck ()
Date: February 21, 2011 01:39PM

I have a larger bottle of albumen paper sensitizer I mixed up years ago.....375ml water, 65 grams silver nitrate, 37 grams of citric acid.

Really would like to get this into action as a silver bath but I fear it is far too acidic. reducing to granular, I dont think...would eliminate the citric acid. any thoughts on how to proceed? calcium carbonate?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: salvaging silver nitrate mixed with citric acid....
Date: February 23, 2011 12:52PM

I mixed in an old working bath...to this albumen sensitizer, dumped in a heavy pinch of calcium carbonate...it foamed, frothed, stuff rose and stuff fell...gas escaped...bubbles...and then it sort of cleared. Filtered it though a few coffee filters, and then put into a mason jar on a sunny windowsill. Turned black quickly, and now is clearing in stages. Maybe??

Posted by: J0B00 ()
Date: February 25, 2011 04:14PM

I bet it'll work....

Date: February 25, 2011 09:18PM

I filtered it out...and there was a weird. almost metallic silver sheen on top of the liquid. it DID clear though....when my acetic acid thaws out (may?) Ill put in a few drops and give it a try.

it will be interesting to see if 37 grams of citric acid can be 'neutralized'

Date: April 14, 2011 12:24PM

well, despite the cleanings...it appears that no good pictures are coming from my old chemistry. The silver bath DOES work a little, but the image is way too thin. Of course, the old old collodion I have smalls like paint, so that is saying it too has seen better days.

Time to call Mike at Artcraft I suppose.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.