General Discussion :  Wet Plate Collodion Photography Forum The fastest message board... ever.       
Wet Plate Collodion Photography Forum 
japan without powdered asphaltum
Posted by: loch ()
Date: January 15, 2011 04:46AM

The powdered asphaltum I ordered isn't showing up, and now the outfit I ordered it from won't return my phone calls.

I desperation, I tried the following:

I scrounged up the old can of roofing asphalt and dug a fist-sized ball of goo out of it.

I dissolved this in about 2 quarts of mineral spirits over a low heat on an electric hot-plate.

I strained it through four layers of window screen to get all the fibers out of it, and then heated and strained it three more times through t-shirt material.

I let it settle, and decanted the top liquid, which I heated ad filtered through paper towels.

This gave me about a liter and a half of japan, to which I added ingredients according to John Coffer's formulas for base and top coat.

The plates I baked with this seem to be just as black and glossy and hard-baked as any I have made with powdered asphaltum.

PS It has been so cold that two plates I shot recently began to freeze before I could get the plate exposed in the camera. The spreading ice crystals made an interesting network of craze-lines across parts of the photographs. Has anyone else experienced a plate beginning to freeze?

Loch

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: japan without powdered asphaltum
Posted by: J0B00 ()
Date: January 15, 2011 06:07AM

This has been done before...

Claude Levet, Wayne Pierce, and Will Dunniway have all made plates this way before... Wayne used to have a tutorial on his website about it, but it has since been taken down. Anybody ever hear from him these days? He sure did do some nice woodwork.

Andy

Posted by: Richard Mellor ()
Date: January 15, 2011 09:46AM

I have never had a problem with this company.
The shipment came fast and the asphaltum was great.
make sure you use "real" mineral spirits. I know home depot and lowes, don,t sell the real stuff anymore.

asphaltum

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2011 09:52AM by Richard Mellor.

Posted by: joni sternbach ()
Date: January 15, 2011 01:48PM

I recently heard from Wayne--he's out of wet plate now.

Posted by: Ray Morgenweck ()
Date: January 15, 2011 02:04PM

My very first tintype plates....I went to the end of the street where the county had just laid a big patch, and used that hot tar to seal the edges.

Scraped a bunch of it up with an old knife....and with solvents, filtering...etc...made a bunch of really nice plates which I used that weekend.

Date: January 15, 2011 03:22PM

Thanks for the tip Richard! It's always better to do things the right way!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2011 03:23PM by loch.

Posted by: RobertSzabo ()
Date: January 16, 2011 11:59PM

Ive shot in weather as cold as about 15 degrees and have never had a plate freeze. That was working out of a darkroom in the back of my pickup truck I had at the time. I always keep my chemistry warm though and also my plates. On that trip I had the bottles in a cooler with warm water. They stayed warm enough for me to work for a couple of hours before the silver bath got too cold.

If Im working outside in the cold I will put a couple of plates in a pocket under my coat to keep them warm. If they are larger than half plate though that may not work.

Date: January 18, 2011 01:28PM

This is how it happened- I had taken the camera gear on the llamas up the mountain, and camped out- I'm preparing or my walk along the Old Spanish Trail, which begins February 1. Early the next morning, I met a friend of mine who lives way up there and asked if I could take a photo of him. It was about 20F. I had posed him, focused the camera, etc and everything, and just as I was about to put the plate holder in the camera, he ran off, saying, "I have to get MY camera and take a picture of you taking one of me!" (surely that's never happened to any other wet-plate photographer!)

So I waited there for at least five minutes until he came back. I knew the plate wasn't going to dry out, but I was surprised to see the frost crystals when I developed it.

Yes, all the chemistry was cold, having sat out all night. The hypo was even a bit slushy...

I would post the image, but I forgot how to do it here. I can't find the tutorial, so maybe someone can refresh my memory?

Posted by: RobertSzabo ()
Date: January 19, 2011 02:47PM

Now that you have described what happened I can see how the plate could start to freeze like that. Even if you are out in the wilderness you can always warm your chemistry first. I do it all the time at reeneactments. I will heat water in a tub and put my developer and silver bath, while still in there bottles, in the hot water. Warm slowly so you dont crack them if they are glass. I will also pour some hot water into the wooden boxes that hold my silver bath to warm that. I learned a while ago to ne carefull warming a plexiglass bath. I once cracked the glue seal open on one by pouring hot water into it when it was very cold.

After warming things up this way I can work for a couple of hours before having to pour the chemistry back into the bottles to re-warm them.

Ill have a small cooler on hand that the hot water will go into so it stays warm for a time. When not in use the developer bottle will go back in there.

To upload pics:

Go to: Control Panel

Go to: Edit my Files

Upload your files (pics)

When they are uploaded click on them. Copy and paste the URL into your message using the picture icon that appears above when you are typing your comment.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.