General Discussion :  Wet Plate Collodion Photography Forum The fastest message board... ever.       
Wet Plate Collodion Photography Forum 
solid brass hooks
Posted by: cepaw ()
Date: January 14, 2011 03:54PM

If you make cases and make hooks the way I used to, by using thin brass foil to stamp and original into, then back fill it with solder. You know it takes time and while they look great, they can be flimsy.
I looked at having someone laser cut them for me and they could for $10 each, minimum order 500. So we invested in some new equipment so we can make them ourselves. We now make solid brass hooks 0.025 thick. These hooks are as strong as an original hook. $1 each, 25x for $20
If interested, please contact me
Mike
moderndayantique@yahoo.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: solid brass hooks
Posted by: J0B00 ()
Date: January 14, 2011 05:39PM

Great news!

Can you post some photos?

Date: January 14, 2011 07:05PM

link

new hooks

Posted by: Ray Morgenweck ()
Date: January 19, 2011 12:17PM

Hooks can be fun to make. I dont know why yours were weak.... I used 50/50 solder, which possibly is harder? All the hooks I used on the several hundred cases I made were stamped from only ONE original hook.

The ones you pictured look ok from a shape standpoint, but not having them with the gentle rounded look of the originals....

I see no way of getting a round contour on them, like the originals. One thing I liked with stamping my own was that the old hole stamped into the new metal with a small depression that held the drill bit nicely to make the hole.

Good luck, but personally I always felt the nicest thing about making cases was that I could be totally self sufficent and use common materials without needing to buy parts.
ray

Date: January 19, 2011 02:10PM

Thanks for the comments Ray. I too like the look of the way I used to make the hooks, and yes at first they are fun to make. Making 40 for the 20 cases ordered that are needed in three weeks while running a full time business and having a full time youth ministry, not so much fun. The only complaint I ever had on my cases were that the hooks were weak. I thought they were great, I lost sales because of it. I also need to use my time wisely, finding ways to cut down the time it takes to make a complete case. I can make 100 hooks in a few hours.

The other point is a good one as well. I want to be self sufficient but most of the people that buy my molds to make cases like that I offer them parts to make life easy for them. Also collectors needing one or two hooks will not make them but they will buy them.

Being able to make hooks this way is a major break through for me and will lead to other items that are in need like brass hinges for thermoplastic cases.

Posted by: Ray Morgenweck ()
Date: January 20, 2011 02:28PM

Yes I miss making them. I done them before I had my shop, and the more than full time camera business. Now, hopeless, timewise, that Ill ever make them again.

My first "19th century moment" was the very first time at an event I opened the brown paper wrapper on a brand new case, popped out the image pack and put in a new ambrotype and handed it the sitter.

very magical moment. Cases make the image, without a doubt!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.