General Discussion :  Wet Plate Collodion Photography Forum The fastest message board... ever.       
Wet Plate Collodion Photography Forum 
Glass Wax
Posted by: J0B00 ()
Date: August 14, 2008 02:31PM

I think I may have tracked down a replacement for the product!

After doing a little digging, I discovered that after the company that made the original Gold Seal brand Glass Wax stopped producing it, they sold the formula to a company called TR Industries that is producing it under the name "No Streek" Glass Cleaner. The stuff is being sold in TrueValue and Ace hardware stores and comes in a white plastic bottle with a blue label. The polish is nolonger pink, but is now being formulated in a yellow color.

[www.acehardwareoutlet.com]

[www.trindustries.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Glass Wax
Date: August 14, 2008 02:34PM

P.S. Since other "Glass Wax Replacement" products have been a failure in the past, I am going to try and track down a bottle of this stuff locally so I can give it a good test. If any of you care to help out in the case that I can't find it here, please let us know the results!

An 8oz. bottle is $2.39.

Posted by: Ray Morgenweck ()
Date: August 14, 2008 03:04PM

Rather that try all sorts of alternatives, why not go back to the ORIGINAL product used for cleaning your glass plates.

Rottenstone. You can either premix it into a slurry or just sprinkle some as a powder and using a paper towel dipped in alcohol or distilled water, polish the glass with it.

Nice thing is it is PH neutral and has no chemical additives that can add another element of contamination into your silver bath.

this is one pound,.....it will outlast your collodion career.

[cgi.ebay.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2008 03:05PM by Ray Morgenweck.

Date: August 14, 2008 03:23PM

I agree, and that is what I use to clean my plates (currently)...I was just posting this information for those who's stockpile of Glass Wax might be running thin.

I got to use some Glass Wax when I made my first places (John Coffer brought some along), and I liked working with it...It'd be nice to have some, but the traditional Rottenstone works just as good.

Date: August 14, 2008 03:29PM

Oh My God....someone **Agreed** with me.

that shoots down my theory that everyone who responds to my posts on various message boards is my wife.

wow. :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2008 03:30PM by Ray Morgenweck.

Posted by: Kerik ()
Date: August 14, 2008 04:56PM

Well, I'm definitely not your wife, but my understanding is that Rottenstone is mostly calcium carbonate. I can't imagine that would be anything but alkaline when made into a slurry. Be careful not to leave any Rottenstone residue, especially along the rough edges of the glass. It can make your silver bath unhappy. And if your silver bath ain't happy, then neither will you be.

I agree it works well for cleaning glass, though. So there, I agree with you. I've never used glass wax.

Date: August 14, 2008 11:38PM

Yes you are right. a portion of rottenstone is limestone, so that would be an alkaline nature.

Getting all the crud out of the ground edge is essential, no matter what compound you use to clean the plate.

(are you sure youre not my wife?....she's always right too...)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.