Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: World's Largest Confederate Flag

Default World's Largest Confederate Flag

http://www.tampabay.com/news/humanin...icle551722.ece

Confederate group plans giant flag in Hillsborough County
    By Jessica Vander Velde

Saturday, May 31, 2008

TAMPA — Next year, a giant Confederate flag may tower above the tree line near the junction of Interstate 75 and Interstate 4.

The Sons of Confederate Veterans wants drivers in the Tampa area to see the massive flag — 30 feet high and 50 feet long — atop a 139-foot pole, the highest the Federal Aviation Authority would allow. It would be lit at night.

With the pole already in the ground and building permits in hand, the group is on its way to having what it calls the "world's largest" Confederate flag in place by mid 2009. The group just needs about $30,000 more, said Douglas Dawson, Florida division commander.

Several nearby business owners don't mind. It's history, they say, and it's on private property. Tampa resident Marion Lambert owns the small triangular plot just west of Interstate 75 along U.S. 92 E.

But when Hillsborough County NAACP president Curtis Stokes heard about the plans to have the flag flying next year, he was shocked.

"I'm surprised that they would allow something like this to go on in Hillsborough County," he said.

The county has wrestled with sensitive Confederate issues in the past. In 1994, the Confederate flag was removed from the county seal. Last year, county commissioners recognized Confederate commander Robert E. Lee on the same day they honored a black civic leader. Commissioners later apologized and haven't since recognized Lee.

It's the commissioners' responsibility to make sure plans don't move forward, Stokes said. The flag would send the wrong message about the county and it would be embarrassing because many visitors use the roads, he said.

Code enforcement officers won't be able to stop the project because flags were removed from county sign regulations in 2004. County Commissioner Kevin White, whose district includes the flagpole site, could not be reached for comment Friday.

Plans for the flag, which is part of a memorial for Confederate veterans, started about four years ago, said John W. Adams, a Deltona resident who co-chairs the Confederate Veterans' Flags Across Florida project.

Flags Across Florida started about eight years ago, after the Confederate flag was removed from the Capitol in Tallahassee. So far the group has two major flags erected: one in Suwannee County along Interstate 75 and one in Havana along U.S. 27.

Adams insists the flag isn't about racism or slavery. "It's about honoring our ancestors and about celebrating our heritage," he said. "It's a historical thing to us."

He hopes people who are offended by the flag will drive to the memorial and view the plaques honoring Confederate soldiers. They plan to have one dedicated to black Confederate veterans, he said.

Mitch McDonald, the general manager of a nearby crane rental business, said he won't mind the flag. "The bigger, the better," he said.

But he's worried that it might offend a black employee of his, who was angered by the sighting of a Confederate flag on an earlier assignment.

Ted Meyer, who owns a nearby boat business, said he is concerned customers will think it's his flag because the properties are adjacent. His wife, Maxine Meyer, is upset by the plans. "I've got a lot of black customers," she said.

Dawson, the Sons of Confederate Veterans' Florida commander, said he knows a giant Confederate flag flying 24 hours a day over two of the Tampa area's busiest roads will cause controversy.

"We can't do anything but explain to people what the truth is," said Dawson, of Pensacola. "If they don't want to accept that, they're closed-minded, and Jesus Christ couldn't change it."
    The flag and pole are ready today...the engraved monument work and its installation are underway.

Test flying of the flag:

Last edited by FloridaConfederate; 06-01-2008 at 09:37 AM.

Other coverage...some explicit language.

http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=102x3333081
    Respects, Scott B. Lesch

My History and Toy Soldier "blog"

http://ilikethethingsilike.blogspot.com/

Helping my employers achieve the American Dream since 1978.

If there's one thing I can't stand seeing, it's Americans fighting Americans.
    ~Dan Aykroyd as Sergeant Frank Tree in 1941

Great job . Where do I send my contribution?

Will flying these flags really honor anyone?

They have folk here in Texas who are wanting to do the same thing...
    http://www.texasconfederateveterans.com/index.html (till a short while back) had a thing where they were going to put up a huge Battle flag off of I-30 somewhere in East Texas. They were stating that they would like to see more flags put up every time that someone in school was forced to put away their Battle Flag, or not allowed to have a Battle flag. (Something to that effect) I find it strange they don't have THAT on their web site at the time I write this!

My beef is if these flags are for getting back at those who fight to take down Battle Flags from public places, or lost lawsuits against schools who don't allow Battle flags on clothing. "In your face" tactics will not honor anyone.

Battle flag detractors are not totally stupid, the "Heritage, Not Hate" statement holds little water, when they know it was Confederate Veterans started the KKK, and wonder how many of their "Sons" were involved too. Folk that will have these in, or near their cities/towns are going to ask what the motive is for the flags.

I'm not one for shoving something into someone's face and trying to force them to like it. Our confederate ancestors deserve better than "revenge" tactics. I don't think it's a good idea to cast pearls before the swine.

Kevin Dally

Quote Originally Posted by sbl
    Other coverage...some explicit language.

http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=102x3333081
    I understand and respect why someone would be offended.

I have my own thoughts on it too

Quote Originally Posted by Georgia Frame

http://www.texasconfederateveterans.com/index.html (till a short while back) had a thing where they were going to put up a huge Battle flag off of I-30 somewhere in East Texas. They were stating that they would like to see more flags put up every time that someone in school was forced to put away their Battle Flag, or not allowed to have a Battle flag. (Something to that effect) I find it strange they don't have THAT on their web site at the time I write this!

My beef is if these flags are for getting back at those who fight to take down Battle Flags from public places, or lost lawsuits against schools who don't allow Battle flags on clothing. "In your face" tactics will not honor anyone.

Battle flag detractors are not totally stupid, the "Heritage, Not Hate" statement holds little water, when they know it was Confederate Veterans started the KKK, and wonder how many of their "Sons" were involved too. Folk that will have these in, or near their cities/towns are going to ask what the motive is for the flags.

I'm not one for shoving something into someone's face and trying to force them to like it. Our confederate ancestors deserve better than "revenge" tactics. I don't think it's a good idea to cast pearls before the swine.

Kevin Dally

As long as the NAACP , the Jesse Jackson version of the National Park Service , the Southern Poverty Law Center , the PC Staff of the Museum of the Confederacy and the cowardly schools boards, etc, etc. are doing their thing , we will do ours.

"As long as the NAACP , the Jesse Jackson version of the National Park Service , the Southern Poverty Law Center , the PC Staff of the Museum of the Confederacy and the cowardly schools boards, etc, etc. are doing their thing , we will do ours."

WHO are you trying to honor here...the Confederate Veteran, or yourselves?

Kevin Dally

WHO are you trying to honor here...the Confederate Veteran, or yourselves?

Kevin Dally
    Come to Florida.

I owe you a beer.

Kevin Dally
    After consulting my current US Constitution, the 1st Amendment protecting freedom of expression is still intact. Reading further, I have been unable to find any Constitutional provision guaranteeing the right of someone not to be offended. The flag, as I understand it, will be on private property. Ergo, other than some parties whining about it, there is not much to debate.

For that matter, I wonder if this topic would be better posted in the Whine Cellar, as it does not directly relate to flags and statues in the context of historical settings.
    Terry from Occupied Baltimore
    "As I stood upon the very scene of that conflict, I could not but contrast my position with his, forty-seven years before. The flag which he had then so proudly hailed, I saw waving at the same place over the victims of as vulgar and brutal a despotism as modern times have witnessed."
    Francis Key Howard, Ft. McHenry 1861