Thread: Colors of the 6th Kentucky Infantry

Default Colors of the 6th Kentucky Infantry

I just wanted to share with everyone our new colors. We are so proud of them. I was sent a data sheet on this flag. It was made before the flag was put in storage in the basement of the MOC. It had every detail of the flag typed on it along with a hand drawing of the flag. I want to thank our surgeon's wife Mrs. Zenta Withington for making the flag. I made and applied the lettering.

Your humble servant,
    Shannon L. Jefferies, Captain
    6th Kentucky Infantry, Company C, CSA
    http://6thkentuckyinfantry.org

What a great looking flag . I had several Confederate relatives from Kentucky . Keep up the fine work.

Elliott Cummings
    Baltimore, Maryland

"As I stood upon the very scene of that conflict, I could not but contrast my position with his, forty-seven years before. The flag which he had then so proudly hailed, I saw waving at the same place over the victims of as vulgar and brutal a despotism as modern times have witnessed."
    Francis Key Howard, Ft. McHenry 1861

Thumbs up Excellent Work!

I got to see the flag at the Brandenburg Morgan's Raid event and must say it looked good. They did an excellent job in making it. It is one of the few flags that I have seen that actually looked good flapping in the wind.
    Micah Trent
    2nd Most Hated Reenactor in Kentucky - Western Federal Blues
    Friends of Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site

Smile Flag-6th. Kentucky

Capt. Shannon

Nice flag, I got to see it at Lost River. If I only had a tie!

Always Doug
    Holding on the High ground

Please do not take this as dig at your flag as it looks very nice and I compliment you on its acquisition. But, in general for battleflags that list specific battle honors on the flag, is it appropriate to display the flag at reenactments that portray battles that occurred before one or more of the battles listed on that flag? Similarly, with Union reenactors is it appropriate to display American flags that have more state stars than there were states at the time of the battle being portrayed?
    Thomas H. Pritchett
    Moderator, Military & Other Business Conferences
    www.campgeiger.org

I want to thank everyone for the compliments. Also Tom, I can see your point. However we wanted the flag exactly how it was on the data sheet. Our unit never fought a battle in this state at all. So sometimes you have to make choices in the hobby. (God knows we've seen those choices discussed to death on here. lol) I only wanted to share with others something we are proud of and a picture of a flag very few have ever seen.
    Your humble servant,
    Shannon L. Jefferies, Captain
    6th Kentucky Infantry, Company C, CSA
    http://6thkentuckyinfantry.org

Beautiful flag, Captain. I'd love to see it in action.
    Brandon T. Benner,
    -151st PVI, Co. D
    -Washington Guards

The Pennsylvania State University
    Undergraduate, Political Science/History

Also Tom, I can see your point. However we wanted the flag exactly how it was on the data sheet. Our unit never fought a battle in this state at all. So sometimes you have to make choices in the hobby. (God knows we've seen those choices discussed to death on here. lol) I only wanted to share with others something we are proud of and a picture of a flag very few have ever seen.
    Again, my comment was not especially directed at you but was a more general comment to all the readers that was just sparked by seeing the picture of your flag. However, after making this comment I still have to agree with all the others that your flag is indeed quite beautiful.
    Thomas H. Pritchett
    3rd Ark, Co. H
    http://www.campgeiger.org/

Default An historical note about the flag

Even though the unit was from Kentucky, that flag, as the one pictured above, was presented to the unit by the ladies of Huntsville, Alabama. Not sure on the exact date, but interesting to see the support to that unit from another state during the ACW.
    Last edited by Micah Trent; 07-31-2008 at 08:37 AM.
    Micah Trent
    2nd Most Hated Reenactor in Kentucky - Western Federal Blues
    Friends of Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site