Thread: Sex in the Civil War lecture at Frederick, MD Museum

Default Sex in the Civil War lecture at Frederick, MD Museum

RARE ORIGINAL CIVIL WAR-ERA CONTRACEPTIVE DEVICE ON DISPLAY FOR THE FIRST TIME
    Sex in the Civil War free lecture at National Museum of Civil War Medicine July 3

Frederick, MD, July 3 - For one night only, the National Museum of Civil War Medicine (NMCWM) will be displaying a rare original Civil War-era contraceptive device. The artifact will be on display at the Museum during a July 3rd lecture titled Sex in the Civil War. This unique presentation by Museum Executive Director George Wunderlich will be presented Thursday at 7:30 pm (doors open at 7:00 pm) at the National Museum of Civil War Medicine on Patrick Street.

“Sex during the Civil War era was not much different than it is today; although our society's views on sex have dramatically changed since that time period,” says Mr. Wunderlich. These changes in how we view sex will be discussed by Mr. Wunderlich, as well as many other facets of this unusual topic.

This program is part of a free lecture series that will take place every Thursday night in July and August at 7:30 pm. Admission is free, but space is limited and is first come, first served. The schedule for this series is as follows:

PROGRAM: SPEAKER:
    July 03- Sex in the Civil War Executive Director George Wunderlich
    July 10- The Real Story of Barbara Fritchie. Author Steven Stotelmyer
    July 17- Women in the Civil War Hood Professor Betsy Estilow
    July 24- Battle of Monocacy Author Marc Leepson

***July 31- CIVIL WAR WOUNDS HISTORIAN ED BEARSS
    Aug 07- Flags of the Civil War Historian Robert Hartman
    Aug 14- Technology of the Civil War Era Author Dr. Robert Slawson
    Aug 21- Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address Historian Robert Hess
    Aug 28- Civil War Quilting Historian Mavis Slawson

***RSVP required for Ed Bearss July 31 lecture.

The NMCWM is located at 48 East Patrick Street in Downtown Frederick, Maryland. Hours are Monday through Saturday 10-5 and Sunday 11-5. Phone: 301-695-1864.

Leone Bollinger
    "Humanity teaches us that a wounded and prostrate foe is not then our enemy." Jonathan Letterman, Medical Director of the Army of the Potomac

I, along with my fellow surgeons of the 1st Federal Division Medical had a unique opportunity to view the "cundum" as it is called along with other artifacts when we were taken on a private tour of the museum and the collections room. George read us the instructions (which took 5 minutes) and gave some insight to this particular piece.

We saw many other rare items that have been donated but are not on display in the main viewing areas. If you get an opprotunity, I strongly suggest you take time to attend or visit the museum. Don't forget to see the Pry House (Antietam battlefield) for their satellite museum. I remain,
    Don Kessler
    Event Coordinator
    1861 Camp of Instruction

"Vel Exuviae Triumphant"
    ("Even in defeat there can be triumph.")

Can anyone give description of this device for those of us out west that cant get back east to sit in on the lectures.
    Thanks

thought I would share this

http://www.coachlightpress.com/bygon...aception.shtml
    Russ Stanley.

Default George Wunderlich

Please PM me - I may have something you can use for your presentation tonight.
    Elizabeth Topping
    Columbus, Ohio
    "Good women are rarely clever and clever women are rarely good." Adah Issacs Menken