Thread: Need Wheel cap pattern.

Default Need Wheel cap pattern.

Pards,

I posted similar message in Civilian thread also. I am looking for anyone who may have or know where I can get a pattern for a Wheel style forage cap or a Mechanics cap. I need one to make a cap for my 12 year old Grandson, who is starting his first full year of re-enacting. That is the style hat he wants, so I am trying to find a pattern for him. Many thanks.
    Gene

http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?...=37&startrow=1. Scroll down to the bottom left and click on the picture of the man with the bad fake beard. This pattern contains directions for the wheel hat (mechanic's cap). I've used this pattern before , and you'll have to do just a little tweaking to get a better period appearance, including adding a stiffener like varnished or painted cardboard around the lower band, and adding hand sewn finishing instead of the machined directions, but aside from that its a decent commercial pattern. You can also find them available at most JoAnn Fabrics and some Wal Marts that carry fabric.
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    Tampa Bay History Center
    www.tampabayhistorycenter.org
    On Facebook at: Tampa Bay History Center Living History Programs

"The simplest things, done well, can carry a huge impact" - Karin Timour, 2012

Default Work for Navy???

Would this pattern, or a minor variation, work for a Naval Officer's hat, US or CS? The Navy Officer hats seem to be few and far between, and VERY pricey... just wondering if this would be a passable sub. Or would it work for a Mississippi Marine Brigade hat??

Thanks!

Marty

This lad has put instructions here and has done a fine, fine job not only on the hat, but on his site.

I think he posts here...nice work dude. Keep up the leadership.

http://theyoungcampaigner.typepad.co...cts/index.html
    Last edited by FloridaConfederate; 04-07-2008 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy2000
    Would this pattern, or a minor variation, work for a Naval Officer's hat, US or CS? The Navy Officer hats seem to be few and far between, and VERY pricey... just wondering if this would be a passable sub. Or would it work for a Mississippi Marine Brigade hat??

Thanks!

Marty
    With alot of variations, the pattern would work for a naval officers cap, but I would caution that it isn't that easy, so make a couple of practice caps out of cheap material before you attempt to make one from expensive wool. You would have to tweak the heighth of the side, as well as change the top (crown) piece to be more oval rather than round, as well as change the sizes of the undercrown quarters. This pattern would be easier to make the enlisted naval caps much easier. There is a reason that naval officer caps are so expensive- to make a good one takes an inordinate amount of handwork, utilizes costly material for a correct one, and they aren't in as much demand as say a kepi or forage cap.
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    Tampa Bay History Center
    www.tampabayhistorycenter.org
    On Facebook at: Tampa Bay History Center Living History Programs

"The simplest things, done well, can carry a huge impact" - Karin Timour, 2012

Hi Gene,

I happen to have a mechanics cap that my son (16 years old tomorrow) grew out of. It's not the greatest in the world, but not bad either. It's made of grey jean wool, has a check cotton liner, and a leather sweat band. My only real gripe is that the visor is made of the same fabric as the body of the hat; but it wouldn't be hard to change it to a leather visor, if one felt so inclined (which I never did). Guessing, I would say it's about a 7 to a 7 1/8. If you're interested, I could measure it, and could email you pics (my email address is roy34108@aol.com). You could have it for $15 plus actual shipping cost.

Roy Pappalardo

Default Man, good job

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaConfederate
    This lad has put instructions here and has done a fine, fine job not only on the hat, but on his site.

I think he posts here...nice work dude. Keep up the leadership.

http://theyoungcampaigner.typepad.co...cts/index.html
    Not to highjack the thread - Christopher is right, this guy did a great job on his site. Bully for you. -Garrett
    Garrett Silliman
    Black Republicans

A good period source would be " 'The Workwoman's Guide', by A Lady" (c. 1838-40) You could probably find a reprint with a little searching online, or Google Books has a digital copy online which can be downloaded as a .pdf file (it appears some pages are missing from the preview though, don't know if there are pages missing from the .pdf file).

Some examples of the caps you're speaking of can be found illustrated in Plate #19 toward the back of the book (the plates start after pg. 300), with the general construction directions located in the text of the book, approx. pg. 153-158.

Good luck to you.
    Joseph Hodges

and know that it was in California we learned the art of making long journeys with safety, to endure privations with cheerfulness, and to thrive under the most adverse circumstances, and these have enabled us to make strides in war which may seem gigantic to the uninitiated.
    (excerpt from a letter from Gen. W. T. Sherman to Governor Frederick Low of California, dated Goldsborough, N.C. March 24, 1865)