Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Maryland Division SCV honors USCT Veteran with gravestone dedication

Quote Originally Posted by firstmdes
    If secession is legal under the U.S. Constitution and the Confederate Constitution is nearly identical, then it was legal for those in Western Virginia (soon to be West Virginia) and Northern Virginia to secede back into the Union. Right?
    Bravo! Wish I'd thought of that!

I was chatting with a WV National Guardsman once and I wondered if Virginia might think of trying to take back the western counties that re-joined the Union in 1863; he said, "Well, they can try. Win or lose, they'd know they'd been in a fight."
    Last edited by Frenchie; 06-09-2008 at 10:09 AM.
    Yours, &c.,

Guy N. 'Frenchie' LaFrance
    National Congress of Old West Shootists, Grand Army of the Frontier
    Vous pouvez voir par mes vêtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie
    Bravo! Wish I'd thought of that!

I was chatting with a WV National Guardsman once and I wondered if Virginia might think of trying to take back the western counties that re-joined the Union in 1863; he said, "Well, they can try. Win or lose, they'd know they'd been in a fight."
    One of funniest things I've heard at a reenactment came out at the end of last year's McDowell. After the Sunday fight, both sides massed on the hill top for a look around at the countryside, a few photos, and a final good-bye. There were the usual good-natured exchanges between north and south. My favorite was the response given by a soldier of the 3rd Virginia (US) after a rebel cried, “Go home, yank!”

“We’re FROM Virginia – YOU go home, Georgia cracker!”
    M. A. Schaffner
    Midstream Regressive Complainer

Quote Originally Posted by firstmdes
    If secession is legal under the U.S. Constitution and the Confederate Constitution is nearly identical, then it was legal for those in Western Virginia (soon to be West Virginia) and Northern Virginia to secede back into the Union. Right?
    Once again, we find ourselves in agreement. Since West Virginia exists, Secession must have been legal. This only proves the axiom, "If at first you don't secede, try again"
    Terry from Occupied Baltimore
    "As I stood upon the very scene of that conflict, I could not but contrast my position with his, forty-seven years before. The flag which he had then so proudly hailed, I saw waving at the same place over the victims of as vulgar and brutal a despotism as modern times have witnessed."
    Francis Key Howard, Ft. McHenry 1861

Quote Originally Posted by RebelBugler
    Once again, we find ourselves in agreement. Since West Virginia exists, Secession must have been legal. This only proves the axiom, "If at first you don't secede, try again"
    He was joking, as I suppose you must be. Actually, the formation of West Virginia from counties in western Virginia was done in accordance with Section 3 of Article IV of the U. S. Constitution, cited above. It received the consent of the legislature of the legitimate state of Virginia, as well as the U. S. Congress.

It was not secession and, in any case, complaints about the legitimacy of its independence from that part of Virginia that was then in rebellion sound a little like the parenticide who pleads for mercy because he's an orphan.
    M. A. Schaffner
    Midstream Regressive Complainer

Allan Nevins had a map of "west" Virginia counties and how they went.
    "I'll do the thinin' 'round here, Bobba-Louie!"
    the Grackle of the New Yawk Tri-Bune
    Newsflash! At this date, a private in the ranks
    -138th PVI-
    http://www.citypaper.com/news/story.asp?id=2398

As to why Jefferson's attitude was that different from Steven's: thank a Yankee inventor: Eli Whitney. The resurgence of slavery was due to the cotton gin.

But again, remember, SC would not have left had not AL been elected. And that because they thought him an abolitionist.
    "I'll do the thinin' 'round here, Bobba-Louie!"
    the Grackle of the New Yawk Tri-Bune
    Newsflash! At this date, a private in the ranks
    -138th PVI-
    http://www.citypaper.com/news/story.asp?id=2398

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Wolle
    But again, remember, SC would not have left had not AL been elected.
    I wouldn't bet the plantation on that. I have long been tempted to believe that the hardliners who split the Democratic party knew that they were virtually guaranteeing Lincoln's election, and providing themselves with an excuse for secession.
    \"Die Gedanken sind frei\"

John Thielmann

I have long been tempted to believe that the hardliners who split the Democratic party knew that they were virtually guaranteeing Lincoln's election, and providing themselves with an excuse for secession.
    Bruce Catton makes the same implication in his The Coming Fury as far as Yancy was concerned.
    Thomas H. Pritchett
    Moderator, Military & Other Business Conferences
    www.campgeiger.org