Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Maryland Division SCV honors USCT Veteran with gravestone dedication

Default Maryland Division SCV honors USCT Veteran with gravestone dedication

Interesting article published at SouthernMarylandNews.Com http://www.somdnews.com/stories/03262008/indyfea114220_32185.shtml

Confederate descendants help honor Union soldier

"It started less than two years ago when a local priest was able to secure a headstone for a Civil War soldier buried at St. Catherine’s Church in McConchie.

Actually, it started way before that.
    The Rev. Edward P. O’Connell, a Bronx native, had been trying to get a grave marker for George Brown – a black farmer who fought for the Union – since the 1950s.
    No one was all that interested in helping the history buff priest.
    He tracked down every lead only to be turned down.

Then, the Sons of Confederate Veterans said they would help".
    Last edited by RebelBugler; 03-30-2008 at 11:41 AM.
    Terry from Occupied Baltimore
    "As I stood upon the very scene of that conflict, I could not but contrast my position with his, forty-seven years before. The flag which he had then so proudly hailed, I saw waving at the same place over the victims of as vulgar and brutal a despotism as modern times have witnessed."
    Francis Key Howard, Ft. McHenry 1861

Great story! There is a thread elsewhere related to "heritage not hate" and this article shows that some members of the SCV are definitely in it for the heritage. I have always thought both sides should be honored for their sacrifices even if you don't fully agree with all their reasons behind it.

Bully for the "Maryland chapters of Confederate Sons" and the others who worked together to honor this Union soldier! It may have taken about 143 years, but some people are finally getting over the war!
    J. P. Maranto

A verbis ad verbera

Default Question

What exactly do you mean.."finally getting over the war"?

Quote Originally Posted by RebelBugler
    Interesting article published at SouthernMarylandNews.Com http://www.somdnews.com/stories/03262008/indyfea114220_32185.shtml

Confederate descendants help honor Union soldier

"It started less than two years ago when a local priest was able to secure a headstone for a Civil War soldier buried at St. Catherine’s Church in McConchie.

Actually, it started way before that.
    The Rev. Edward P. O’Connell, a Bronx native, had been trying to get a grave marker for George Brown – a black farmer who fought for the Union – since the 1950s.
    No one was all that interested in helping the history buff priest.
    He tracked down every lead only to be turned down.

Then, the Sons of Confederate Veterans said they would help".
    As a past Department Commander of the Sons of Union Veterans, I'm embarrassed that my Maryland Brothers either weren't visible enough to be considered as a contact or else were not paying attention to this situation in their own backyard. I'll admit that there are "only" 20,000 Civil War veterans buried in our state, so our task of honoring the vets out here may seem less strenuous, but why didn't the County Service Officer in that part of Maryland know the drill for ordering a federal headstone -- free to any American veteran? Good for the SCV. Hope at least some SUV and DUV members also attended.
    Regards,
    Paul Hadley
    Lincoln, Neb.

Quote Originally Posted by Artyreb
    What exactly do you mean.."finally getting over the war"?
    It just seems that some people, supporters of both sides of the war have yet to get over it! This is an example of descendants of both sides coming together to honor a veteran. They have put aside the fact that their ancestors fought for different causes and have put aside the fact that they are of different races and are honoring the person for his bravery and sacrifice.

The CSA ceased to exist in 1865, the Union was preserved, let's move on with life! Robert E. Lee did...James Longstreet did...John Singleton Mosby did...why can't we?

Does that better explain my statement?
    J. P. Maranto

A verbis ad verbera

Default More on Cpl. George Brown's Headstone dedication

Another news story on Cpl. George Brown's gravestone dedication

http://www.somdnews.com/stories/0402...03_32202.shtml
    Terry from Occupied Baltimore
    "As I stood upon the very scene of that conflict, I could not but contrast my position with his, forty-seven years before. The flag which he had then so proudly hailed, I saw waving at the same place over the victims of as vulgar and brutal a despotism as modern times have witnessed."
    Francis Key Howard, Ft. McHenry 1861

It may have taken about 143 years, but some people are finally getting over the war!
    There was a war back then???? All this time I thought this forum was about role playing.
    Thomas H. Pritchett
    Moderator, Military & Other Business Conferences
    www.campgeiger.org

Quote Originally Posted by tompritchett
    There was a war back then???? All this time I thought this forum was about role playing.
    From what I have read in some of the threads, many others think it is all about role playing too!!
    J. P. Maranto

A verbis ad verbera

I am not an SCV spokesman nor do I not tow their line..... but I am a member. I think you will find a vast number of SCV members are US veterans themselves.

I know of many in our camp alone..... including active duty, reservists, SOF, officers and combat veterans. In addition to law enforcement officers, clergy, public officials, high school teachers and business people. We do things James Haely Veterans Hospital, volunteer and donations of usable items quite frequently.
    Last edited by FloridaConfederate; 04-03-2008 at 05:29 PM.

[QUOTE=firstmdes]It just seems that some people, supporters of both sides of the war have yet to get over it! This is an example of descendants of both sides coming together to honor a veteran. They have put aside the fact that their ancestors fought for different causes and have put aside the fact that they are of different races and are honoring the person for his bravery and sacrifice.

"The CSA ceased to exist in 1865, the Union was preserved, let's move on with life! Robert E. Lee did...James Longstreet did...John Singleton Mosby did...why can't we?"

Millions of dollars of damage incurred upon personal property, over 600,000 dead, racial injustice, no, we will never totally get over it. Does that better explain my statement?"

By no means, do I feel that the war is still being fought. However, we must remember, the death of over 600,000 men, most of whom had their lives snubbed away in their youth, isn't an issue that is likely to just die away, ever.
    Secondly, there are many parts of this nation, especially in the South, that still feel some of the results of the war.The war is over, yes, but those who died, well, there events during the war will never be forgotten.

David Long