Thread: Plastic Maynard Carbine Cartridges

Question Plastic Maynard Carbine Cartridges

Greetings All,
    Does anyone have any experience with the plastic Maynard cartridges being sold by Lodgewood Mfg.? Are they reloadable like the black plastic Smith cases and what color are they? How well do they stand up to repeated firings? I know that I can get the brass cases from Dixie ($3.75 ea) S&S ($1.75 ea) Lodgewood ($1.20 ea @100+ or $1.25 ea 1-99) and the plastic cases ( 0.28 ea @ 100+). I can see having a few brass cases for living histories to show what the round looked like, but for reenacting in the field, I'd much rather lose a 28 cent case instead of a buck twenty five case. Thank you in advance for any information / insight you can give.

Brian Woodyard
    Brian \"Smokey\" Woodyard

"Quinon Proficit Deficit"
    (He who does not advance, goes backward)

A friend of mine has the plastic cartridge cases that he uses for his Smith Carbine. He was just telling me at a parade that we were at on Memorial day, that he needs to repalce them. He said that he has had them for three or four years, so it seems that he has gotten his moneys worth from them.

Rich Schiment
    2nd Kentucky Cavalry, Co. D "Morgans' Raiders"

Hallo!

I have not tried the plastic Maynard cartridges. When I shot an original Maynard I used turned brass cartridges.
    I have used the white plastic Smith cartridges for years in excess of 15,000 live rounds. I found that the cheaper versions without the metal grommets in the "touch-hole' burned through and enlarged over years of use while the grommet ones resisted enlarging very well.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

Not a real Civil War reenactor, I only portray one on boards and fora.
    I do not portray a Civil War soldier, I merely interpret one.

Default Plastic Cartridges

Gentlemen,
    Thank you for your replies, but, I'm afraid that they missed the mark a bit. I'm well versed in the qualities of the Smith Carbine cartridge (I own two Smiths). I am using the Smith cartridge as an example. What I was asking was, are the plastic Maynard cases as rugged as the plastic Smith cases? I would like to hear from someone who shoots a Maynard on a regular basis and uses the plastic cartridges vs. the turned brass cases for blanks as well as for live firing. Thank you for your time.

Brian Woodyard
    Last edited by Cav_Maj; 06-05-2006 at 01:11 PM.
    Brian \"Smokey\" Woodyard

"Quinon Proficit Deficit"
    (He who does not advance, goes backward)

Default Plastic Maynard Cartridges

I regularly use a Maynard carbine for mounted cavalry. I found that the plastic cartridges did not hold up as well for the Maynard as the plastic Smith cartridges do for a Smith carbine. After about 3 or 4 re-uses they tend to get weak and flare out on the edges making them difficult to go in the breech quickly. I switched back to the brass cartridges.

Red Brown
    2nd US Cav Co H

Rich Schiment
    2nd Kentucky Cavalry, Co. D "Morgans' Raiders"

Off topic.....but im guessing you'll be attending Morgans Raid this fall.
    William L. Shifflett
    Valley Light Horse

http://www.valhallastablesvirginia.com/calvary

"We are still expecting the enemy. Why don't he come?" -JEB Stuart

In Memory of 3 Sox, 4th Va Cavalry horse, my mount, my friend. Killed in action January 9th, 2005.