Thread: Ghost sightings at historic battlefields

Default Ghost sightings at historic battlefields

At one event we some how got talking about Civil War ghost sightings at historic battle fields. So I wanted to know have you had any ghost sightings at historic battlefields and do you believe in ghost. Also why do you think this ghost came to visit?

The story I heard from our unit goes back to the late nineties at one of the Gettysburg. It was late at night and a few people from our unit were driving along in their car. While driving they saw a young boy dressed in Civil War clothes. They thought he was a lost re-enactor so they picked him up and gave him a ride. During the ride the boy didn't say anything he just sat there with a weird look on his face. At some point during the ride the boy pointed to a random spot on the battle field and they stopped the car. The boy got out and started to walk away. The people from our group started to drive away but before they did they looked back to take one more look at the boy and when they did he was gone. He disappeared into the night.

I was not there at Gettysburg so I have no idea if this story is true. I personally do not believe in ghost. Until I actually see one of these "ghost"
    For myself then I'll believe. If this story is true I think the ghost came out to visit because he knew there were people creeping around at night. The young boy was either a rifleman who lied about his age or a musician who died at the battle of Gettysburg. The spot he chose to get dropped off at might have been where he died and he was going back to his final resting spot.

So lets hear your stories
    Retired Civil War Re-enactor

There are plenty already posted. Try these threads:

Ghost Stories

Ghost at Perryville

"Ghosts"

Eric
    Eric J. Mink
    Co. A, 4th Va Inf
    Stonewall Brigade

Campaign to Save the Slaughter Pen - Fredericksburg, Va.

This isn't a ghost story, but it sure is "ghostly"... and it all took place just a few miles south of the Chickamauga battlefield. Maybe "Old Green Eyes," the demon believed to haunt the battlefield, decided to possess Ray Brent Marsh, the slothful cremetory owner. (Now that I've thunk it up, how long do you think it will be before this theory appears in a Civil War ghost book? )

In early 2002 the Environmental Protection Agency office in Atlanta received an anonymous tip that something was amiss at Tri-State Cremetory in Noble, GA. The agency sent officers to investigate the property, who discovered a skull and some bones that were human in origin. On February 15, 2002, investigators stumbled onto a grisly scene: piles of rotting human bodies were discovered in a storage shed, in vaults, and throughout the property.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-State_Crematory

Quote Originally Posted by Dignann
    There are plenty already posted. Try these threads:

Ghost Stories

Ghost at Perryville

"Ghosts"

Eric
    Ugh I should have figured someone would have beat me to it. Thats what I get for not checking first.

Default GHOST STORIES NEEDED For An Event

Gentlemen and Ladies,

My unit has been asked to assist the John Wornal Home and Museum in Kansas City with a project this coming April. The Wornal Home served as a hospital for both the Union and Confederate wounded during the Battle of Westport.

Given this, the home and grounds will be examined by a team of Ghost Hunters not unlike "TAPS". The Wornal Home has asked us to set up a Union encampment, true to the period on the grounds and share with the visitors to the home some Civil War period ghost stories and encounters.

A few of us have experieced some happenings over our years of reenacting. I have had one or two experiences and maybe you have had one or two as well.

Would any of you be willings to share your experiences? What I am looking for would be 1st person encounters/stories you have had or experienced that aren't found in popular books on this subject. In other words what actually happened to you!! Not a retelling of a story found in a book.

Of course I will give full credit to you and your unit as the story is told to the visitors atthe John Wornal Home and Museum.

YOS,
    Alpha Lodge No. 659 AF&AM
    N. Kansas City, Mo.
    Edward M. Powers-Surgeon
    7th Missouri Medical
    7th and 30th Missouri USV
    Missouri Irish Brigade
    Muddy River Battalion
    --------------------------------------
    Alpha Lodge #659
    N. Kansas City Missouri
    AF&AM of Missouri---------

sorry to revive this thread

Its kind of a funny ghost story. My family and I were heading to gettysburg and stoped by Union Mills for lunch, after lunch we decided to go to the bathroom. While looking for it we ran into a civil war period old lady, who smelled pretty bad. She asked us if we could help her find the necessary. We said we would and we headed to the vistor center with her right behind us, when we reached the center, she had disappeared, we spent an hour or so looking for her but had to give up. The vistor center didnt know of her either.

We were at loss as to how she got away from us so fast. the parking lot or anything to hide behind was a good half mile at least away, and we would think we would have been able to see where she went. Anyway I would love to know what happen to her

Mike bealefeld
    3rd MD

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader16
    sorry to revive this thread

Its kind of a funny ghost story. My family and I were heading to gettysburg and stoped by Union Mills for lunch, after lunch we decided to go to the bathroom. While looking for it we ran into a civil war period old lady, who smelled pretty bad. She asked us if we could help her find the necessary. We said we would and we headed to the vistor center with her right behind us, when we reached the center, she had disappeared, we spent an hour or so looking for her but had to give up. The vistor center didnt know of her either.

We were at loss as to how she got away from us so fast. the parking lot or anything to hide behind was a good half mile at least away, and we would think we would have been able to see where she went. Anyway I would love to know what happen to her

Mike bealefeld
    3rd MD
    Well IF it was a ghost I would think she would smell bad...shes been dead for over 100 years.