Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memorial Day in the Nation's Capital 2008

Default Memorial Day in the Nation's Capital 2008

Once again this year Bruce Milligan and I are organizing a contingent of Federal troops for the National Memorial Day Parade. This is the fourth year we've done this and every year it gets better.

I'm working on updating the website tonight, should have it finished with info for 2008 in a day or two.

The final details are given to me about a month prior to the event. These sometimes change as they adjust to conditions in DC. One thing is sure however, if you wish to bring horses (cavalry) it would be a good idea to contact me soon. DC is not an easy place to get a horse into, it seems.

I look forward to joining with many of you again this year for a great experience remembering our honored dead.

Doug
    Doug Dobbs
    Co E, 15th NJVI
    encamped near Hagerstown, Md.

Default National Memorial Day Parade Links

Here is Doug's updated link to information about the parade: http://www.dougdobbs.com/dc2008/index.htm. As we said last year and the year before, we know that many units and individuals already have commitments for Memorial Day, and we certainly don't wish to try to pull them away from their own significant commemorations of this sacred day.

But for those who do not have such commitments, you could scarcely find a better way to spend your day than marching through the streets of our nation's capital with 4,000 other veterans, serving military, marching bands and fraternal organizations, and reenactors representing every American war -- and all this in front of 150,000 extremely appreciative spectators.

This is a parade whose sole purpose is to honor those who died in America's wars, and as most of you already know, Memorial Day had its origins in the Civil War. I can think of no better way for us to not only honor them, but to at the same time publicize our hobby that is far more than a hobby.

I hope you will consider joining us for the 2008 parade. It is our goal to one day put 100 men in the ranks, and it would be great if it happend this time.

Bruce Milligan
    Company K, First Penna. Reserves

Default Why bother to come?

This Memorial Day there's going to be at least a few thousand guys within a two hour's drive that aren't already committed to some event, I'd wager. If only one in ten came, we'd have a good sized contingent.

Will they come?

Will their brigade/battalions tell them about it?

Will you come?

Will you tell your brigade/battalion about it as the meetings come up this time of year?

I don't believe that guilt ever motivates anyone to lasting positive change. However, sometimes it doesn't hurt us to make an effort to remember "the old boys" in the seat of the government they gave so much to preserve.

It certainly lifts the spirits to see folks in the crowd recognize who we are and what we represent. Last year a black veteran, riding in a convertible in the parade, stood up, turned and saluted us as we walked back from the end of the parade. You could see that look in his eye that he "got it" and it was almost electric. To my final breath I'll remember that instant.

Hope you can join us. It's a bully time.

Cordially,

Doug
    www.dougdobbs.com/dc2008
    Doug Dobbs
    Co E, 15th NJVI

Doug, I have posted your link for this event on our web site on the Company Street page. I did this just yesterday hoping for feedback from our members. I am definitely thinking of joining you.
    John Barr
    2nd Delaware
    http://2ndDelaware.com

Hey Doug as, as per our conversation, I am in unless obligated somewhere else. looking forward to joing everyone....

Chaplain Merchlinsky

Quote Originally Posted by Stickbug
    This Memorial Day there's going to be at least a few thousand guys within a two hour's drive that aren't already committed to some event, I'd wager. If only one in ten came, we'd have a good sized contingent.

www.dougdobbs.com/dc2008
    Well, I'm within minutes of the parade, and I do indeed plan to be at the parade in 2008. Last year, Doug, I missed you and fell in with a great group of guys who were polite enough to let me march with them. This year, let's you and I meet up proper. I'll let my unit know, too.

Lawrence
    Lawrence E. Kingsley
    BTTY F, 1st PA LT ATTY

Default That Washington City parade...

Will you take in period-clad civilians, as well?
    We wouldn't mind marching behind the troops.
    Maybe someone might bring a camera and document the whole thing...hmmm?
    Julio
    Julio C. Zangroniz, Independent Photojournalist
    www.zphotos.smugmug.com
    Jzangroniz@comcast.net

Thanks for raising that issue. I've put a note out to the parade staff asking for some info on this issue and a few others. I'll let you know asap.

Much obliged, my friend!

Doug
    Doug Dobbs
    Co E, 15th NJVI

Thanks for the "advertising" and we'll be delighted to have you along again this year.

Doug
    Doug Dobbs
    Co E, 15th NJVI

Thanks, John. Your efforts are much appreciated. As Bruce has noted somewhere, our numbers have about doubled every year. It would be nice to continue that trend.

Doug
    Doug Dobbs
    Co E, 15th NJVI