Thread: How to Play a Fife

Default How to Play a Fife

Im a Bugler, and want to learn how to play the fife also. I have only played brass instruments so i need some major help here. Does anyone know a source where i can find the basic aspects of fifeing? Such as how to get a clear sound and how to hold the fife correctly and such. If anyone could help it woulld be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Patrick Smith
    Patrick D. Smith

Go to www.beafifer.com for some beginning tips. He has some publications for sale as well. Seriously, one of the best how to sheets is the one that accompanies the Cooperman maple fife that's available from any number of sutlers or merchants. The lower two octaves of the fife are intuitive in fingering, meaning that you lift a finger to get a note higher, or put a finger down to get a lower one. The highest octave is a little odd. You'll need it for playing outdoors, but learn those fingerings last.
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty

Quote Originally Posted by 22ndPvt.Smith
    Im a Bugler, and want to learn how to play the fife also. I have only played brass instruments so i need some major help here. Does anyone know a source where i can find the basic aspects of fifeing? Such as how to get a clear sound and how to hold the fife correctly and such. If anyone could help it woulld be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Patrick Smith
    cozy up to a flutist....she can teach you how to purse your lips and blow....you can teach her how to triple tongue.

Am pretty sure I stayed with the trumpet as long as I did because I couldn't/didn't want to learn how to cozy up to a clarinet, saxophone, flute, et al....
    RJ Samp
    Horniste! Blas das Signal zum Angriffe!
    "But in the end, it's the history, stupid. If you can't document it, forget about it. And no amount of 'tomfoolery' can explain away conduct that in the end makes history (and living historians) look stupid and wrong. "

Default beafifer.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Weaver
    Go to www.beafifer.com for some beginning tips. He has some publications for sale as well.
    I taught myself fife last fall, with the invaluable guidance of Ed Boyle at www.beafifer.com. Get his phone contact information off the web site and give him a call. He may come across as a little crusty, but when he learns that you're sincere in your interest he'll talk your ears off about fife lore and techniques.

Call him often whenever you have a problem or a question. And I've found that he answers e-mails pretty consistently within an hour's time.

Ed's tutorial that he wrote himself is outstanding, and includes a CD to compare your own efforts with.

Ed suggested that I start with one of the $8 plastic fifes to learn on, and his advice was well founded. The plastic fifes have a surprisingly nice sound, and are rather easy to learn to make a decent sound on since the bore is so smooth inside.

Ed will then strongly recommend that you purchase the Model F when you're ready to graduate. I think they're a little over $100. I bought a Model F and have not regretted my decision for one instant since I got it and first played it. The sound is beautiful, and it's a very responsive instrument in playing.

I've also played a borrowed Cooperman rosewood model (about $65?), and it doesn't compare to the Model F.

Murray Therrell

The amazing thing about fifes is that a cheap one does play pretty well. I learned to play on one of those plastic fifes! Later on, I got a rosewood fife and had the same experience you did - the high notes were hard to play and unclear. I don't know what became of that instrument, but it was a real disappointment.
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty