Thread: Making a quilt

Default Making a quilt

I and a friend are planning on making a quilt for my Confederate impression. I wanted to know if the pattern I've thusfar selected is an authentic one. http://www.quiltbroker.com/ohio_easy.html We have most of the correct fabric. Also, my unit entered the war in mid '61 so I planned for this quilt to be one mother made for me before I left for service. If that's helpful at all. Thanks all!
    Last edited by Jeb Hawthorn; 07-08-2007 at 01:13 PM.
    Pvt Benjamin Schiele
    12th TN/ 25th IN

"It's just like shooting squirrels, only these squirrels have guns!" -Unknown Yankee

That's a reasonable choice of pattern--but if this is your first quilt, you will be better served to make a simple Nine Patch block. Fitting multiple angled pieces with a bias edge is a learned skill, and you don't want your 'mother's quilt' to look as if its was made by an 8 year old.

Look also to warmth and usefulness---cotton batting is a poor thing when it gets damp--heavy and cold. Many of the calls for items for the soldiers asked that blankets and carpeting be given up for the army, with quilts left at home. Woolen batting was not as common in quilts, but could be obtained, and will give you a more useable item.

Several years ago, Frank Afmuth did a fine multi part article for the Camp Chase Gazette on his journey to constructing a period quilt. You'd be well served to obtain those back issues as a good start on your endeavour.
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Did your sales post disappear? Try again. But read the rules first.
    Here they are: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...Classified-Ads

Thanks for the help and info. As for the quilt getting wet, I only plan to use it for dry and really hot events.
    Pvt Benjamin Schiele
    12th TN/ 25th IN

"It's just like shooting squirrels, only these squirrels have guns!" -Unknown Yankee

I made this identical quilt, and it was my first one.. it took a while, but it looks great. Take your time, and this one will turn out for you, too. Have fun!

Thanks for all your help folks. I decided to play it safe and make a simple patchwork quilt. I'm happy now to post the end result. http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...us21/Quilt.jpg
    Pvt Benjamin Schiele
    12th TN/ 25th IN

Looks lovely! Nice fabric selection, IMO.

Thank you very much for the kind words.
    Pvt Benjamin Schiele
    12th TN/ 25th IN

Default Quilting Help

Hello,
    I am trying to make my first quilt, too. I drew out a simple pattern and need advice on what kind of batting and supplies to buy. The quilt will be 4' x 7' like a sanitary commission quilt. I am an absolute beginner at quilting though I have good knowlege of sewing. Everyone here is always so helpful. Thanks so much.

I believe wool batting was most common for quilts (it doesn't get wet as easily as cotton does).

I know almost nothing about quilting, so take this with whatever you may
    Chessa Swing
    Independent Civilian

Quote Originally Posted by uozumi
    Hello,
    I am trying to make my first quilt, too. I drew out a simple pattern and need advice on what kind of batting and supplies to buy. The quilt will be 4' x 7' like a sanitary commission quilt. I am an absolute beginner at quilting though I have good knowlege of sewing. Everyone here is always so helpful. Thanks so much.

Sanitary commission quilt was basically two pieces of cheep dark fabric with cotton batting and tied. it is the easiest quit to do.. and looks good. they were not called quilts they were comfortables and they were not made to be durable as they were discarded once filthy or blood soaked. the size you indicate is correct.

the first one I made I made the bottom piece too large so the boarder on the top side was too wide. I would now make the bottom or back just 2" larger than the top. turn under 1/4 or so all the way around. Bring it over the top piece and stitch it to the top piece mitering the corners and stitch right through your cotton batting. then tie it every 6" give or take. For the ties I was taught to use embordery floss. just once you have set the distance maintain it. I tend to make an X with the knot and excess string on the top side.

let me know if you need more informdation. My Gr.Grandmother used the same technique to cover old blankets to keep them usuable for longer.

Catherine.
    Catherine Kelly
    10th Virginia Co. B