Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 - Sixth Corps to Gettysburg

Default 2008 - Sixth Corps to Gettysburg

We did it in 2003 and we're going to do it again in 2008. It's grueling if you do it all, but we're opening it up for participants to "drop in" and out along the way. We're promised a contingent of Australians to keep things lively.

Rest and Prep June 25

1:30 AM Thursday June 26, Fairfax Courthouse, Va. to 4PM Wednesday July 2, Gettysburg, Pa.

120 miles. Five days marching, one day resting, then 17 hours to cover 35 miles. Original route, original timetable. Use what you carry. We'll supply the water, period rations, moleskin and bivouac. Limited to 35 participants at any one time.

You'll be amazed at what you can do.

Start getting ready now. No kidding.

Stickbug
    aka Doug
    "Mile and a half" mess

The first quality of a soldier is constancy in enduring fatigue & hardship.
    Courage is only second.
    -Napoleon Bonaparte
    Last edited by Provost; 02-15-2008 at 10:49 PM.
    Doug Dobbs
    Co E, 15th NJVI
    encamped near Hagerstown, Md.

I'm already working on the kitchen pass. It's very difficult for me to imagine that I could complete any signficant portion of this, but I am very willing to try to prove myself wrong.
    M. A. Schaffner
    Midstream Regressive Complainer

Default Age Limit

Dear Doug,
    Is there an age limit for this march?
    Aaron Bolis
    1st CO. Richmond Howitzers

Sounds neat! Kind of makes me wish I could pass myself off as a young ladd.

Holy Crap I would love to do this I've been searching for an event along these lines!

Please for the love of God send me info and count me in for the whole thing, I am a hearty 16 year old so I won't die!

Default More info

Dear Doug,
    Please send me more info on this march. My email is cglass4inc@yahoo.com. Thanks
    Aaron Bolis
    1st CO. Richmond Howitzers

I did one of these before (back in the 70's)...we did a hundred miles in four days. The only thing that wasn't good was that the original routes are now mostly paved highways--which is very hard on the feet, and the modern traffic was very distracting to say the least.
    Even at my advanced age I am thinking I just might like to try it--just to see if I still could do it if nothing else. I've kept up my 'infantry legs' and actually like to march (better than the shoot-em-ups). But in the summer heat this might be a tad ambitious for these old bones...but then again....
    I'd be interested in hearing more.
    Spencer Waldron,
    Coffee Cooler

Straggled out and did not catch up.

Default A point of reference

We probably won't do things exactly as we did before, but if you want to see the site I posted about our last trip, you can access it here:

http://www.dougdobbs.com/cwr/6c2g/

You'll note the links to the history, routes, etc will remain the same. I might change a few other things in the coming months. I'm still open to folks to want to "tag along" in modern equipment, just for the experience. So if you know any CW buffs who are not reenactors, this might be a unique opportunity for them.

If you look up the Camp Chase Gazette issue for the fall of 2003 you'll also find Joe Bordanaro's fine account of our trip.

Now to replies...

Doug
    Doug Dobbs
    Co E, 15th NJVI

Mike,

I'd be honored to have your company for as long as you feel able to do so, my friend. Or as long as I feel able to keep up with you...
    Doug Dobbs
    Co E, 15th NJVI

We'd probably want to have participants over at least 16. Preferably 18 for insurance reasons. How old are you?
    Doug Dobbs
    Co E, 15th NJVI