I am new to the artillery reenactor group but have done the infantry impression for many years. *I am in the process of gathering info. on an upcoming purchase of a field piece. I am doing my research and was hoping a few of the Board members who crew a piece or own one might be able to offer some assistance.
I am aware of the main tube and carriage makers out there (Steen; South Bend; Paulson; Cannon Ltd, etc.) ....
1) What tubes are being mostly seen on the field ?
2) What are the most common cannon that are seen on the field today (excluding Mountain Howitzers) ?
3) What carriage manufactures are mostly being seen on the field ?
4) Are there any smaller cannon makers out there that are making very good and reasonable tubes ?
5) I am hearing some decent things about Hern Iron Works tubes...can anyone comment on the quality ? Their prices seem very reasonable.
6) Does it really matter if my...say my 3" Ordnance Rifle is NOT rifled? I understand I might not be able to compete with it BUT for the price difference of one being rifled vs. smoothbore it is significant.
7) I have been reading that many tubes made today (iron) have a liner....does this look "hokey" or noticeable ?
What would I need to do if I purchased a modern reproduction of an Ordnance Rifle to make it look "correct" and not farby ?
Thanks in advance....any help is appreciated and valuable!