Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sutler Complaints

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
    Great News! I got more than complete satisfaction from the sutler I was referring too, (anonymously of course).Turns out that he travels all around the west,so he's never home anyway.Is it ok to mention a sutler if you are happy with there service? And if so what part of the web site would I use?.
    Good news is always appreciated and you can post positive comments on vendors/sutlers on Military-General Discussion, or Civilian-General Discussion depending upon what they sell.
    Ross Lamoreaux
    Moderator and Sewer of Historical Clothing and Tall Tales

"But our opportunity to learn and grow, to communicate the richness of the lives that have gone before us, that does not change. We do not outgrow it. It does not tatter and fall apart in our hands..." -Mrs. Terre Lawson, 2010

I and many others a few years ago were ripped off by a WW2 militaria dealer. We (some were as far away as Australia) all filed a complaint with the USPS and it went nowhere. The USPS appears reluctant to get involved unless it involves huge amounts of money. In fact they never responded to my own complaint. Unless you are located in the same state as the "dealer" and can take the dealer to small claims court the money is as good as gone. In my particular case the best we could do was get the dealer fined for operating a business without a license ($50.00 fine). Otherwise he kept the money.

My advice to anyone buying over the internet is check the person or business out before engaging in a transaction. Avoid using personal or bank checks or cash. Try using paypal as a means of payment. Paypal has fraud protection and other means of getting your money back. I am fortunate that since getting into CW reenacting I have always dealt with reputable dealers and individuals.

Default No Whining...

I want to complain about my draper, Ross Lamoreaux. His
    custom hand sewn shirts are too handsome and well made.
    They make my non-period Hart, Shaffner & Marx suits look
    like rags by comparison. Like a good divorce lawyer, Lamoreaux
    shirts are expensive but worth it.

Now, that's how you b-tch about a sutler.
    Craig L Barry

Author: The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy

Your check's in the mail....
    Ross Lamoreaux
    Moderator and Sewer of Historical Clothing and Tall Tales

"But our opportunity to learn and grow, to communicate the richness of the lives that have gone before us, that does not change. We do not outgrow it. It does not tatter and fall apart in our hands..." -Mrs. Terre Lawson, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
    I bought a shell jacket at a event and I really didn't have the time to check it out very well to see if it fit,I liked it so I bought it.Anyway,when I got it home I noticed that it was sewn crooked,so I sent them about 6 e-mails an they never called me back.I also bought a wooden canteen from someone who swore it was a bonafied replica of a wooden canteen filled with bees wax,only 20.00 bucks!Turned out the canteen was one of those novelty canteens,it wouldn't even hold a drop of water.Ya,it would be nice to have a way to get even,but the Provost is right!!It's a good thing I didn't drink out of that canteen cause it was filled with glue.
    The old term caveat emptor still has significance, particularly when the buyer has the opportunity to see the finished product and examine it. We strongly recommend that our new men be accompanied by an old hand when purchasing clothing and equipment at an event so they won't have the same problem that you encountered. Folks are all too glad to sell you junk. It's really up to the buyer to know what he's buying. If the price sounds too good to be true, it's likely to be junk. Quality generally costs more.
    Chalk this up to experience. If it happens again, guess whose to blame?

Andy R.
    Andy Redd

Ross
    Forget the check, I would just blow it on cigars, black powder
    and Yuengling. Send another shirt. A Lamoreaux shirt will take the Pepsi challenge with anything made by anybody. I am the envy of
    all the park service Civil War volunteers at STRI. Even Landrum
    and you know you can't tell a cajun anything.

By the way, I broke a button on the last shirt you sent and I
    have not quite been able to find an identical replacement in my box of
    odds and ends. The top one at the collar. Do you have an extra
    laying around?
    Craig L Barry

Author: The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy

Broke a button?

That's what you get for not sending it out to a competent laundress.....

Men, always think they know the womens sphere
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Did your sales post disappear? Try again. But read the rules first.
    Here they are: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...Classified-Ads