Hi all - My name is Sherri & I'm an EMT-B in Pennsylvania, and I've been reenacting for 5 years, most of which as our company's Hospital Steward. Big hello to anyone I've met at events - looking forward to seeing y'all again in the spring!!!
I don't typically get into the living history end of Civil War medicine much, my role has always been typically to stay behind the lines of troops in my brigade and tend to those who are actually wounded on the field or in camp (heat stress, burns, cuts, sprains, stings, etc.) at events, and other medical responsibilities. I carry 21st ct first aid supplies in my haversack, along with canvas buckets with extra water/gatorade mix, rags and ice for the hot weather events. And the list goes on...
ANYWAY, I was recently promoted to 2nd LT. Assistant Surgeon, so now comes the $$$ part of upgrading the entire uniform ensemble.
For those of you who have been doing impressions of Assistant Surgeons, I need to pick your brains, if you don't mind.
Here's what I have now - is there anything I can adapt, or do I need to buy all new stuff? (Since I'm not kin to the Hilton or Trump families, this will mean a few dents in my forthcoming paychecks, and the tax return).
For HS, I currently wear the customary frock coat with crimson piping & chevrons, kersey blue trousers with crimson trim, etc...a wool slouch hat with the silver US, wreath, green/gold braid & a Hardee hat I typically use for dressier parades, etc. Also the NCO red sash. I have a Pennsylvania belt buckle. And of course, the brogans from ****.
Just to make sure I have all of my t's crossed with the new season approaching, let me ask y'all if if this sounds correct-I don't want to give the thread-counters the chance to say "that's not correct", ya know?:
1) I should wear a single breasted jr officer's frock coat, & navy trousers (I just purchased the "MS" 2LT shoulder boards and a green sash from Regimental QM).
2) What other hat trim would I need to replace what is on my Steward's hats (slouch & Hardee), and
3) any piping/stripes needed along the sides of navy trousers?
4)Also, can I finally burn my long-suffering brogans & use officer's boots?
5) Must I also give up my Pennsylvania belt buckle for an officer's? Which one would be appropriate for this rank? I will not be carrying a sabre on the field, as it could interefere with my ability to render aid if needed, so I'm not jumping through hoops to get one yet. Anything else needed for the belt? (I have my hands full enough schlepping my over-stuffed haversack, canteen, the two buckets & yellow flag all over the field). Any special haversack or is my traditional black still ok?
6) I currently have a kersey blue vest, should I invest in a navy blue one?
7) Any other essential uniform acoutrements needed?
Do I need a navy blue greatcoat?
9) I finally had the JJ Woodward manual memorized, is there a manual for Surgeons I should learn for this new role?
10) Also, where should I park my A'frame along the company street? I'm not setting up a "field hospital" or the like at this time. I love the company I usually fall in with, so I don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers. If I ever do upgrade to a larger tent, which one would be appropriate?
Thanks in advance to all for your advice.
Yer Obd't Servant,