Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cedar Creek "event' is cancelled.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I thought I'd seen everything in Gettysburg until 3/4/07

Default Cedar Creek "event' is cancelled.

Grumpy Rain Jonah
    visit us:
    http://www.thecommonground.proboards.com/
    "This cowardly traitor state, secure from harm, as she thought, in her central position, with hellish haste dragged her Southern sisters into the caldron of secession. Little did she dream that the hated flag would again wave over her soil, but this bright morning a thousand Union banners are floating in the breeze.... W.T. Sherman

Wow, the comments.
    Michael R.
    NPS Volunteer representing Company A or G, 5th US Infantry Regiment
    Private/new recruit, Company A, 3rd US Artillery Regiment
    Museum collections manager in northern New Mexico

The comment section of that article is why I made a new year's resolution NOT to read the comments section anymore. And you made me break it! Who said"writing letters to the editor is a sure sign of failing mental health?"
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty

I suppose it is too late to scream "don't look, Ethel!".
    Michael R.

I firmly believe that Civil War reenacting needs to break the paradigm of public events at public sites, and move to non-spectator events at private venues. Not only for security reasons but for the sake of the quality of the product offered. I also think we continue to have trouble accepting that we are no longer an eccentric hobby, worthy or press time and lifestyle articles but a niche hobby increasingly viewed as odd.
    Rob Weaver
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."

My favorite events are the outreach events, not the outdoors events. Going to schools or afterschool/summer camps is great because we have guaranteed audiences and the ability to hide in the shade. One particular school in the area will feed the uniformed volunteers. Outdoors events always come with a sunburn, and the audience size rarely justifies the costs and the sunburns. There is nothing worse than having a two-day event (with setup the day before) and just 280 visitors (or even fewer), and mostly tourists who would have appeared regardless of the event.

On the other hand, a well-planned one day event with round-the-clock security from law enforcement rangers and sheriffs' deputies, and 2500 people in the audience feels great.
    Michael R.

To follow up to my post, I do not think that we should cut ourselves off from society and popular culture. Through my day job at a municipal museum, I went to a summer camp program while in my infantry uniform, and the kids were excitedly yelling out the name of the local NPS unit when I walked in the door. We should focus on the kids, not on public events that have few or no public attendees. They will help bring our hobby back to the mainstream, not adults who might accidentally see us. Go to a local high school history class, sign up everybody 16 or older as volunteers, let them shoot a musket under strict supervision, and you will get new recruits as long as you have loaner uniforms.
    Michael R.

Those posts make me wish we had a like button! What you're advocating is the personal approach. That will serve the hobby better in the long run . I think we need to think of new approaches beyond open camps and the 2 o'clock battle.
    Rob Weaver

Sounds like there are two different ideas of how do reenacting. One group wants to do teaching, while the other wants to do doing. When I used to do SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism), nearly all of our events were private affairs. When we wanted to do things for the public, we would hold "demos", which were mostly geared as recruiting opportunities. While it is fun from time to time to do events as a public spectacle, I am always astonished that so many CW events seem to set up that way. Is it because the public foots the bill when you run it open to the public? To me, being a public spectacle all the time would get old in a hurry.

Steve
    Steve Sheldon

I would say that I prefer to be in the "doing" side of the house, but I do like doing school or group presentations too. At a good field event, reenactors can be very teachable with each other. How did I recently hear it styled, "constructive peer pressure." Getting comfortably into the zone also involves inviting others in, not grimly excluding them because they're not there yet. School groups can be nice because often they've just been studying the subject, and have a little familiarity, and the teacher and the reenactor can guide the discussion somewhat.
    Rob Weaver