Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My New Kit: Applications & Improvements Upon...

"If I do go infantry, fighting with an spadroon as a Sargent or Corporal is a possibility I might pursue as well."

Unfortunately the spadroon is not very accurate beyond fifty yards or so.

In the old days of this forum, I'd say this was flame-bait from a troll.
    Mint Julep

A Proud 5%'er

A Dead Whale or A Stove Boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Mint Julep View Post
    In the old days of this forum, I'd say this was flame-bait from a troll.
    He sounds like someone new to the hobby, who has a passion for swords and is trying to find a way to work that into the hobby. It reminds me of a guy with a passion for leather working, who showed up at an event decked out in an eclectic blend of uniform and fringed leather items, with a tomahawk and a brace of pistols, claiming that soldiers out West adopted Mountain Man items. It was worth a laugh, and that person eventually switched to civilian impressions.
    Michael R.
    NPS Volunteer representing Company A or G, 5th US Infantry Regiment
    Private/new recruit, Company A, 3rd US Artillery Regiment
    Museum collections manager in northern New Mexico

The hobby definitely needs more close quarters combat with edged weapons.

I know a certain park ranger who would have a heart attack over that. I cannot remember the last time I even saw a drawn saber or sword, since the drill at the site is typically lead by a park ranger infantry sergeant. And artillery drill is either led by that same infantry sergeant, or by an artillery sergeant from a local living history group.
    Michael R.
    NPS Volunteer representing Company A or G, 5th US Infantry Regiment
    Private/new recruit, Company A, 3rd US Artillery Regiment
    Museum collections manager in northern New Mexico

I cut my reenacting teeth in the Brigade of the American Revolution and even thinking about drawing edged weapons is an unpardonable sin there. I sense that the OP is quite genuine, just trying hard to go in a different direction than military reenactors go.
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty

It's very difficult to know quite where to start with this inquiry. After thinking about it a while, I'd have to say at "Sprague" -- it's spelled "Sprague"...
    M. A. Schaffner
    Midstream Regressive Complainer

Administrator Note:

I’d lock this Hot Mess Down, but you Fellers seem to be entertained. I’ve tried to give this poster good advice before as well, and he’s pretty determined to make every mistake twice.

The Alert Button is well and truely Broken so unless a couple of Fellers call for a lock, I tend to leave things alone. Post it here on thread, or message me on Facebook

You won’t get an instant response. I’m out in the Big Woods, with less than one bar and over data limits. It’s a 25 mile round trip to free wireless. I make it every few days.
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to go by Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Did your sales post disappear? Try again. But read the rules first.
    Here they are: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...Classified-Ads

I don't think we need to lock it up. Everybody is still playing fair. I've read the OP on civilwartalk too, and he seems legit.
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty

While I can’t say I’m totally happy with the results of my questioning both here and on civilwartalk, I can assure you I meant no offense to anyone when asking about where to take my impression. I simply have a passion for swords, and horseback riding, and was trying to find a way to make use of those interest in my impression as I find making impressions as close to truth as possible gives them more vermilissitude, but I wanted to see what others thought before doing anything else.

I suspect I will pursue an either Artillery or Infantry impression. Artillery would actually be my first preference as I know quite a bit about Civil War Artillery and cannon design evolution thanks to the amazing markerhunter blog. I did not initially contemplate it however as I figured it was attended by all the difficulties of the cavalry impression tenfold (a dismounted cavalryman is not nearly as silly as a cannonless artilleryman) I may try to fall in with those 1st OVLA Batry A gents I’m Columbus at some point.

And yes, I know I misspelled Sprague. Unfortunately there is no way correct the spelling short of a new username and I think that may be against the rules. Not that I would mind changing it, I despise this particular username anyhow.