Thread: Anyone know what this is????

Default Anyone know what this is????

Would any of you know what this represents? It is actually on a sash that has two red lines running down each side. If you blow up the image, you can see what looks like logs and a circle in the center. It is all metal and sewed to the sash, which is about 6 feet long. My wife's grandfathers grandfather got this at Shiloh when he was wounded near the bloody pond. He was injured by a piece of shrapnel from a cannon. While at the bloody pond, an officer gave him the sash to put over his wound. The family has both the sash and the shrapnel removed from him.

I have exhausted all avenues I know of and hope someone may know what it is.

Thank you,

Captain Rick Fallaw
    42nd Georgia
    Attached Images Attached Images

My guess would be a its a piece of fraternal order regalia, from a fraternal order which is now defunct. There were lots of them in the 19th century, and many have not survived. That may also account for the difficulty in finding a specific answer. It's certainly not a military item.
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty

Rob,

Thank you for the reply. It does give me another starting point.

Rick