Thread: looking for a unit in NY

Default looking for a unit in NY

My brother and I are looking to join a unit in NY or vermont. we live in Canada right on the Saint Lawrence river so preferably something in the North of the state, however, we are willing to travel a good distance. We are as fresh as they come and quite young (aged 20 and 17 respectively). We have a considerable knowledge of the war. Preferably we would like to represent the south but will swing both ways. any help or tips that can be offered to find ourselves a home is greatly appreciated. i've done plenty of research and have a few suggestions but nothing quite ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by patty_39 View Post
    My brother and I are looking to join a unit in NY or vermont. we live in Canada right on the Saint Lawrence river so preferably something in the North of the state, however, we are willing to travel a good distance. We are as fresh as they come and quite young (aged 20 and 17 respectively). We have a considerable knowledge of the war. Preferably we would like to represent the south but will swing both ways. any help or tips that can be offered to find ourselves a home is greatly appreciated. i've done plenty of research and have a few suggestions but nothing quite ideal.
    Greetings! As a place to start, you could contact some of the units on the list on this website:

http://civilwar-reenacting.com/reena...a-north-dakota

(It says nebraska-north-dakota, but it's the letter "n" listings, which also includes New York, New England, and New Hampshire)

Also, you should find the Facebook pages or websites for the national reenactor "umbrella groups" that include numerous units around the country, and they might be able to steer you toward something close to your area. These include groups like the National Regiment, United States Volunteers (USV), etc. It may take a little research to find one convenient to you, but reenacting is notoriously fragmented, and unfortunately there's no comprehensive central directory of reenacting units.

Would also encourage you to attend some reenactments or living history events and talk to the groups there--that's probably the best way to find a unit you like. I'm certain many of them would enthusiastically welcome new recruits your age. Many groups have loaner gear to help newcomers get started.

Best of luck--let us know how things progress.

(My wife is from Toronto, btw and my sons are dual citizens. We have all reenacted at some point, but live in Maryland, which is pretty far from your current location. If we were in your area, I'd already have you recruited and outfitted! )