Thread: Travel Advice when Flying

Default Travel Advice when Flying

I'm just sitting around at an airport right now, because a flight is delayed. When traveling, I would recommend not firing muskets the prior weekend. You probably should also clean your cars on a regular basis after events to get rid of residues. I just had some extra screening, because my modern clothes tested positive for black powder. The TSA people were understanding when I explained the things I do as an NPS volunteer (especially when I explained the powder charges for mountain howitzers and 3-inch rifles), but they still had to do the extra screening.
    Michael R.
    NPS Volunteer representing Company A or G, 5th US Infantry Regiment
    Private/new recruit, Company A, 3rd US Artillery Regiment
    Museum collections manager in northern New Mexico

Rancho San Rafael, Republic of the Pacific

Try doing laundry. little joke

Seriously, every time I have traveled for for a Civil War events I have had my bags cheeked on the return, and both times I never handled any powder. They TSA was nice enough to fold and repack better than I had. Keep your modern clothes clean and protected.
    Andrew Grim
    Monte Mounted Rifles, Monte Boys
    Mess of Myself
    Occasional 7%er

"Los Angeles at the close of the Rebellion was the most vindictive, uncompromising community in the United States" Horace Bell

I suspect it is the car. I never change at the location of events if it is just a close drive away, so my driver's seat probably holds enough powder for a musket cartridge.
    Michael R.
    NPS Volunteer representing Company A or G, 5th US Infantry Regiment
    Private/new recruit, Company A, 3rd US Artillery Regiment
    Museum collections manager in northern New Mexico

I flew to an event in California with my kit sans rifle. I was sure to wash my tins and vacuum my cartridge box. Shelter half, knapsack, uniform, and leathers all fit into a tactical roller bag (I am AC military) that I checked.. I did not have any problem.
    Your humble servant;

Pvt Craig Frangente
    Company A, 9th PA Reserves.

I've had the same thought, but I've never had any issues. Even when I worked at a historic fort handling black powder everyday doing musket firing and cannon demos, plus cleaning the muskets everyday.

When I do field studies I always bring my haversack and canteen. There has never been a problem, however they stopped the carry on to investigate the bulls eye canteen under the x-ray machine. The inspector called over the supervisor and said "I've never seen anything like this before!" The supervisor said, "It's a Christmas ornament, keep going."