Thread: Ground Cloth Sticking

Default Ground Cloth Sticking

Gentlemen,
    I have a ground cloth that keeps sticking to itself does anybody have any suggestions how to stop this. It's one of the rubberized versions .
    Thank You,
    Thank You,
    Ted H.
    19th Ohio Volunteers

Buy a better gum or painted blanket. Seriously. I swear by painted blankets from Claude Sinclair, a moderator on this forum.
    - Silas Tackitt

"Civilian Camps are Resource Pigs. Let's do something about that. Hardly an original concept, nor are the solutions. Civilian Camps tend to suck up more of the wood resources of an event because each and every Canvas Palace has to have its very own fire in which to cook its very own Plumb Duff and Roast Beast." - - Terre Lawson, 27 April 2015.

Sounds like the rubber is breaking down. Is it old or new? I've never experienced that problem so I'm actually going to suggest that the poncho itself is defective. There might not be anything from it but to replace it.
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty

I have an older poncho that does that. Two tips: while in storage hang it up on a line in the basement to let air get to the rubber. Then to fold it lay it on the ground rubber side down, then start at a short side and fold it in short sections onto itself so that there's no rubber-to-rubber contact. At the end fold it into thirds. This minimizes the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Weaver View Post
    Sounds like the rubber is breaking down. Is it old or new? I've never experienced that problem so I'm actually going to suggest that the poncho itself is defective. There might not be anything from it but to replace it.
    I have experienced that with a poncho I bought from a mainstream supplier. And I heard the same from a few other people who bought from that same supplier. I do not know where Ted H. bought his, but for me it is a cheap poncho issue.

Michael R.
    Michael R.
    NPS Volunteer representing Company A or G, 5th US Infantry Regiment
    Private/new recruit, Company A, 3rd US Artillery Regiment
    Museum collections manager in northern New Mexico

Thank you all for your advice. The ground cloth is fairly old so will take the advice and look at buying a new one.
    Thank You,
    Ted H.
    19th Ohio Volunteers

When I received my new ground cloth from Leder Arsenal, I had the same problem. I was warned in advance by Leder Arsenal that it would be like this and it came with talcum powder and tissue paper between layers. What I did was open it up, pulling apart all of the areas that were sticking and placed the ground cloth in the dirt. After doing that and after using it in the field, I no longer have that issue anymore.