Thread: Teacher looking for help - Sibley tent sources

Default Teacher looking for help - Sibley tent sources

As a teacher, I take my students to events and show them what we do. As you know, weather is sometimes a factor. Someone is interested in fund raising for a large tent to house students while they are being engaged in lessons. The tent would be used at various schools and during field trips. I suggested a Sibley tent, but I have no experience with them. I did use the forum search function, but many posts related to Sibley tent equipment were stale.

I'm tasked to price out and find suppliers for Sibley tents, stoves, tripods, stakes, poles, etc. I hope to make an itemized list for our donors. If you know of a source or feedback for any of the following, I would be glad to know it. I will update the original post as information is received, to help others who may also be shopping for a Sibley. Please help.

I currently work with elementary and high school students but have met with middle school classes on occasion.

Thanks in advance.

Sibley tent
    Fall Creek: $700
    Panther Primitives: $650-860
    Tent Smiths: $880-970

Walls
    Tent Smiths: $400

Side poles
    2x2 from lumber yard?

Main pole
    cut/clean a tree at an event: $0 + fun activity?
    Tent Smiths: $145

Tripod

Stove

Stove pipes

Stakes(qty 26 or 52)
    Unit blacksmith: $2-3 ea

Ropes

Something I've overlooked?

Walled Sibleys do not require side poles. Properly roped and staked, the walls are held at the proper height by rope tension.

That chamfered octagon sleeved center pole Tentsmiths offers is a wonder to behold. I've one from them that's 18 feet long in 3 sections with heavy sleeving. Stable in high winds and I've only had to lay it down in bad weather once. Be sure to give it a good coat of linseed oil or quality paint. Mine is over a decade old.

For the stove itself, your best bet it likely going to be a good sheet metal fabrication man and the original plans. The last big maker of them sold out here about 2010.

Same thing on the tripods. I've been wanting some since 2008. The only way I can see to get them is to have them blacksmith made.
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to go by Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Did your sales post disappear? Try again. But read the rules first.
    Here they are: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...Classified-Ads

A few thoughts/suggestions to consider.

It would likely be less expensive and more authentic to have your students, or a school wood shop if one still exists, to make tent stakes from wood. .... and more authentic instead of cooking tripods to set your cook pots in the embers. Also, setting the pots in the embers will eliminate the possibility of students getting injured by tripods tipping over. .... Just my thoughts, mileage and opinions may vary.
    David Einhorn, Author of the book titled, "Civil War Blacksmithing" available from Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/Civil-War-Blac...+blacksmithing

I'm interested to see the results of this. David, if you could, would you be able to post something about the experience you were able to give your students? I'm an 8th grade history teacher so I'd love to see how this turned out. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dlindow13 View Post
    I'm interested to see the results of this. David, if you could, would you be able to post something about the experience you were able to give your students? I'm an 8th grade history teacher so I'd love to see how this turned out. Thanks!
    Sorry, I've been away from this forum for a while. Some museums offer students a "Living History" camp or other living history experience. For example, in Maryland the Carroll County Farm Museum offers a Living History Camp
    for 3rd through 6th grades. http://carrollcountyfarmmuseum.org/living-history/ If you contact your local living history group, there is a really good chance that one of the local living history groups would be more than happy to organize a living history experience for your classes..... maybe even on a regular yearly basis.

I further apologize, but I am not sure how to answer your question about sharing an experience. That is a broad topic, and one that I did my best to share in the book that I wrote. If you Private Message [PM] me with a mailing address through this forum's messaging system, I will gift you a copy of my book. I will try to check for messages on this forum on a more regular basis.
    David Einhorn, Author of the book titled, "Civil War Blacksmithing" available from Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/Civil-War-Blac...+blacksmithing

Default I have mailed a copy of my book to you earlier today

I have mailed a copy of my book to you earlier today

For the rest of the story about how people in the army lived and how they felt about the war I suggest reading at least one autobiography of someone who was actually a soldier. These books are often offered used on Amazon for less than five dollars each.

Time Life Books reprinted a bunch of autobiographies of soldiers and civilians who lived through the War of the Rebellion. They provide insight into life, politics, and details that I have not seen elsewhere.

Such as:

Hardtack and Coffee, or The Unwritten Story of Army Life (Collector's Library of the Civil War) – January, 1983 By John D Billings (Author), Charles W. Reed (Author)

Detailed Minutiae of Soldier Life in the Army of Northern Virginia, 1861-1865 (Collector's Library of the Civil War) Leather Bound – October, 1982 by Carlton McCarthy (Author)

The Citizen-Soldier; Or, Memoirs of a Volunteer (Collector's Library of the Civil War) Hardcover – March, 1983 by John Beatty (Author)

If you wish to know the infighting, politics, profiteering and self-sabotaging by the leaders and business folks and selling access to spys in Richmond I suggest reading:

- A Rebel War Clerk's Diary-Vol I Hardcover – January 1, 1982 By John B. Jones (Author)

- A Rebel War Clerk's Diary at the Confederate States Capital: Vol 2 (Collector's Library of the Civil War) Hardcover – January, 1983by John B. Jones (Author)

Mosby's Rangers (Collector's Library of the Civil War) reprinted January, 1983
    byJames Joseph Williamson (Author)

Four Years in the Saddle: 1861~1865 (Abridged, Annotated)Paperback*– November 11, 2016
    by*Author Harry Gilmor*(Author)

Campaigning with Grant (Collector's Library of the Civil War)*Leather Bound*– 1985
    by*General Horace Porter*(Author)

Thank you Mr. Einhorn. Your book is wonderful. I can't wait to share it with the kids. Some of them have shown a strong interest in blacksmithing! I appreciate all of your help and the help of others. I cannot put into words the deep appreciation I have for the reenacting community. There are so many kind people in the hobby that have come forward to promote our children's program. People like you have donated resources, some have donated BOXES of uniforms and clothing for students to wear, and some have donated financially to crowd fund activities.

Thank you so much, everyone for your support. Just so you all have a taste of where your donations go, I've included an image. The picture shows our teachers loading bags of donated food for our less fortunate elementary students to take home and eat over the long holiday break (Thanksgiving). I know that this was a separate program, but my smile is the same. Thank you!

My next donation request is going to be for manipulatives related to the mountain howitzer. We have some implements, but I'm going to request inert projectiles, fuses, packages, etc. for the students to use when they present (practice teach) to museum patrons at the local historic site.

15085458_1615187548507151_6192260055395866872_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by boldad View Post
    Thank you Mr. Einhorn. Your book is wonderful. ..... but I'm going to request inert projectiles, fuses, packages, etc. .....
    You are welcome.
    What I believe you are looking for would be resin castings/reproductions such as https://www.regtqm.com/Display-Model...-p/art-028.htm

And reproduction implements.
    http://www.regtqm.com/Artillery-s/22.htm

I humbly suggest reading the free online book, “The Artillerist's Manual” , it was a standard book for training officers on both sides during the War of the Rebellion.

http://www.artilleryreserve.org/Arti...%20Mannual.pdf