Thread: Salt Pork for One

Default Salt Pork for One

I tried searching, and had little luck. I found modern and original recipes for salt pork (most importantly a recipe from the 1858 Miss Beecher’s Receipt Book), but is there a good way to translate that for one person preparing sufficient salt pork for one person for a half-dozen events over the course of a year? Could a stock pot stand in for a barrel? And is there a recommended source of bulk salt that will not break the bank?

Michael R.
    Last edited by NMVolunteer; 03-18-2017 at 10:37 PM. Reason: changed text to undo automatic emoticon
    Michael R.
    NPS Volunteer representing Company A or G, 5th US Infantry Regiment
    Private/new recruit, Company A, 3rd US Artillery Regiment
    Museum collections manager in northern New Mexico

Any non-iodized salt will do here, I tend to go for a coarse kosher salt, but there are salt grinds made for curing meat. NON-IODIZIDED is the Main Thing.

This much salt will corrode a metal container. We scrub out and bleach disinfect a good Rubbermaid heavy duty totes with a lid. If you have a good kraut crock, you can use it. Make sure its a modern one, and not one old enough to had a lead glaze problem.

Then it comes down to how much are you going to eat. Done right, it will keep. Theres a cured sausage that I find in my gear occassionally, I have no idea how old it is. I still boil it out and eat it. I'm not dead yet.

Did I emphasize that you have to use non-iodized salt enough?
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to go by Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Did your sales post disappear? Try again. But read the rules first.
    Here they are: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...Classified-Ads

While it is slightly more than you are looking for, our group prepared salt pork in a barrel and it kept for two years before we opened the second barrel. (see attached pictures).
    Salt pork.jpg
    IMG_2211.jpg
    IMG_2211.jpg

One thing to note in some of the original QM contracts specify a different cut of meet than what you find in the store today. There is definitely some variety of the meat but it wasn't JUST the "pork belly". Just some thoughts.

But I agree with Terre, I also use NON-Iodized course Kosher salt. It works great. I normally go to Sam's club and get a case of it. You will go through a many boxes of salt. Hope this helps.

You could also salt some beef for an event. Take one of those "round steaks" which are actually rectangular and about a half inch thick. Cut it in half and season them, meaning dredge them in your salty mixture. I generally use kosher salt and other seasonings I've got laying around. (Hint : a mixture of half brown sugar and salty seasonings works really well.) Place them on a plate in your fridge before you go to bed. Next morning dump the blood from the plate. Go to work. Check on the steak and dump the blood. Go to bed. Check the steak in the morning and dump the blood. After three to four days of this, you'll have a couple hockey pucks which will keep rather well.

To eat, boil water. While it's boiling, cut that meal's ration into bite size pieces. Add to the boiling water. The meat will turn grayish white. Not very pleasing to the eye, but it's perfectly safe to eat after a few days in the field in the shade without any refrigeration.

It's not great by itself, but is added to whatever you're eating. Prepare some cornmeal mush, rice or some soup-ish food with that boiling water and adding the beef is what has worked best for me.
    - Silas Tackitt

"Civilian Camps are Resource Pigs. Let's do something about that. Hardly an original concept, nor are the solutions. Civilian Camps tend to suck up more of the wood resources of an event because each and every Canvas Palace has to have its very own fire in which to cook its very own Plumb Duff and Roast Beast." - - Terre Lawson, 27 April 2015.

You could also salt some beef for an event. Take one of those "round steaks" which are actually rectangular and about a half inch thick. Cut it in half and season them, meaning dredge them in your salty mixture. I generally use kosher salt and other seasonings I've got laying around. (Hint : a mixture of half brown sugar and salty seasonings works really well.) Place them on a plate in your fridge before you go to bed. Next morning dump the blood from the plate. Go to work. Check on the steak and dump the blood. Go to bed. Check the steak in the morning and dump the blood. After three to four days of this, you'll have a couple hockey pucks which will keep rather well.

To eat, boil water. While it's boiling, cut that meal's ration into bite size pieces. Add to the boiling water. The meat will turn grayish white. Not very pleasing to the eye, but it's perfectly safe to eat after a few days in the field in the shade without any refrigeration.

It's not great by itself, but is added to whatever you're eating. Prepare some cornmeal mush, rice or some soup-ish food with that boiling water and adding the beef is what has worked best for me.
    - Silas Tackitt

"Civilian Camps are Resource Pigs. Let's do something about that. Hardly an original concept, nor are the solutions. Civilian Camps tend to suck up more of the wood resources of an event because each and every Canvas Palace has to have its very own fire in which to cook its very own Plumb Duff and Roast Beast." - - Terre Lawson, 27 April 2015.