Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quality 'Period Correct' Pocket Knife?

I think the only piece of Fall Creek equipment still left in my impression is my pocket knife. It's been with me 15 years and ain't going anywhere.
    Mike Phineas
    Arlington, TX
    24th Missouri
    Army of the Frontier
    www.24thmissouri.org

\"The floggings will continue until morale improves...\"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kissing-Cran...item4d21adb443 This is an example I'd forgotten about that is still widely available online, at auction sites, and in some stores. Kissing Crane plain wood handled pocket knives are an excellent copy of a period style. I've had one I bought from Old Sutler John about 16 years ago and just found them with a quick search
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    Tampa Bay History Center
    www.tampabayhistorycenter.org
    On Facebook at: Tampa Bay History Center Living History Programs

"The simplest things, done well, can carry a huge impact" - Karin Timour, 2012

Yes the Klaas knives( kissing cranes) are really good. I have one too. Surprisingly Klaas is not making them any more but a slightly more fancier style.

Where logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead

Try Great Eastern Cutlery. They make many old styles, many with a long pull rather than a nail nick. I have several, and all are carbon steel with beautiful scales and top of the line workmanship. My favorite is a bone handled "boy's knife".
    Paul Manzo
    "Never had I seen an army that looked more like work"......Col. Garnett Wolseley

Now, that is an interesting point, Nighthawk.

Are you saying that indentation in the blade where you can use your thumbnail to help pull the blade out is not original to the civil war era? I ask because there are clearly such indentations in some of the ones of the Arabia wreckage.

Not sure that was what was meant but here is a photo I took of a pocket knife from the Arabia. Hard to get a perfect photo with the glass and zoom but you can see the nail mark in the blade. Dan Wambaugh had a short supply a few years ago that looked just like this. Glad I picked one up as I almost didn't.

IMG_0041_2.jpg
    Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
    Sally Port Mess
    Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
    Old Northwest Volunteers

"If the men pursue the enemy as vigorously as they do the whores they will make very efficient soldiers."
    Charles B. Haydon, 2nd Michigan-May 6, 1861

"The horse is dead, his bones beat to a fine powder, the powder used to make a fine biscuit, and the biscuit beaten back into a powder."
    John Wickett

Default Pocket knife

I have a Fall Creek knife and it is great. Had to put edge on it when I got it. but holding edge after six months.