Thread: WTB: repro Spencer carbine in .45 LC

Default WTB: repro Spencer carbine in .45 LC

I know this is a long shot, but as the title says, I would like to buy a repro Spencer carbine in .45 LC. I have an original and it is converted to centerfire, but it is just too pretty for me to beat up while riding a horse. An absolutely ideal situation would be to find one in Virginia and we could meet face to face. However, if a deal exists, I'm willing to go the shipping route through an FFL.

I can be contacted through a PM here or by email, clbopp1@yahoo.com

Thanks,
    Chris

Skipper
    You might want to post your wants over on the cascity.com under forum, then "spencer shooter society". They talk Spencers, over their, buy, and sell also.

Rebel Dave
    Dave Christensen
    14th Miss in N-SSA
    66 N.C. in ACWSA

Chris
    Just out of curiosity what are you going to use for blanks in a .45 Spencer?
    Terry
    9th NY Cavalry, www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by major View Post
    Chris
    Just out of curiosity what are you going to use for blanks in a .45 Spencer?
    .410 Fiocchi work in a friends Henry in .45 Colt.
    Andrew L. Bresnan
    Victory Thru Rapid Fire
    National Henry Rifle Company http://44henryrifle.webs.com/index.htm
    LBL Tactical 1991 7th Illinois Veteran Volunteer Infantry Henry Company
    Bentonville 2010

Chris
    I tried to use cut down .410 shells in a .45 LC Spencer and the breach would not close. I use cut down .410 shells in my 44-40 and they work great. If you are interested you can read an article I wrote about making blanks out of .410ís for my Spencer. Here is the link.
    http://www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.co...r_article.html
    Terry
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Terry,
    I have read all of the different websites and articles (mainly yours and Andrew Bresnan's) concerning blanks for these and when I balance equipment, time involved in manufacturing, the amount I will actually shoot, that I personally can't stand the look of a red hull for my impressions, and that I reload .45LC for live fire (another use for the .45LC Spencer), I intend to use the more expensive .45LC blanks from places like Atlantic Wall Blanks. It is getting sad but $0.55 a shot is not too bad to me when I balance all of the other factors. I am already paying that and more for some calibers with WWII reenacting so this is not really a financial shock.

I am open to other alternatives, but the wait for reloading dies and accessories or the wait for someone who is willing to reload 56-50 blanks for me is too long since my future participation in reenactments may be significantly reduced when I get orders to move again next summer. I need something to use in the fall 1864 events and the final eastern 1865 campaigns. I will also be using this from horseback and I have seen how my Sharps has been beaten up from riding and horse sweat so I don't want to risk my original.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by USMCSkipper View Post
    Terry,
    I have read all of the different websites and articles (mainly yours and Andrew Bresnan's) concerning blanks for these and when I balance equipment, time involved in manufacturing, the amount I will actually shoot, that I personally can't stand the look of a red hull for my impressions, and that I reload .45LC for live fire (another use for the .45LC Spencer), I intend to use the more expensive .45LC blanks from places like Atlantic Wall Blanks. It is getting sad but $0.55 a shot is not too bad to me when I balance all of the other factors. I am already paying that and more for some calibers with WWII reenacting so this is not really a financial shock.

I am open to other alternatives, but the wait for reloading dies and accessories or the wait for someone who is willing to reload 56-50 blanks for me is too long since my future participation in reenactments may be significantly reduced when I get orders to move again next summer. I need something to use in the fall 1864 events and the final eastern 1865 campaigns. I will also be using this from horseback and I have seen how my Sharps has been beaten up from riding and horse sweat so I don't want to risk my original.

Chris
    Chris,
    You do realize that the blanks for the Spencer have to be the same length as a loaded round. That would mean you would have to use the 5 in 1 blanks and not .45 Colt blanks made from .45 cases. Atlantic Wall's .45 Colt blanks, I think, are made using .45 Colt cases for use in revolvers. Just saying.
    Andrew L. Bresnan
    Victory Thru Rapid Fire
    National Henry Rifle Company http://44henryrifle.webs.com/index.htm
    LBL Tactical 1991 7th Illinois Veteran Volunteer Infantry Henry Company
    Bentonville 2010

I do realize that. He has done special requests before for other odd weapons and I was first going to see if he could do longer but have other sources for 5 in 1 blanks. My comment about me reloading .45 LC was to show that I am set up for live fire in this caliber already without investing more when it comes to shooting this for other purposes as well.

Chris
    I have been known to sell my blanks (cut down .410's for the 44-40) in the past. I get $45 per 100. If you are interested maybe we could work something out. Of course finding a Spencer carbine in either caliber is difficult at the moment.
    Terry
    Terry

Terry,
    I REALLY appreciate that offer. I am having difficulty finding any repro Spencers right now. I am also having difficulty finding 44-40 live rounds while I can find 45LC all over the place and I have reloading stuff for the 45LC. My father picked up a 44-40 Henry before Christmas and every couple of weeks I stop in several gun shops and have not found 44-40 for him on any of my trips. That is a big part of why I am leery in purchasing a 44-40.

Chris