Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Who were your ancestors?

Default Who were your ancestors?

Let's talk about our ancestors. Here are mine that I know of so far. If you know anything else about mine or your my long lost cousin then let me know. Who were your ancestors?

Confederate 3rd Great Grandfathers:
    All were 13th KY Cavalry
    Pvt Benjamin McCray, Co. D (have found grave)
    Pvt William Sexton Jr., Co. H (rode on last KY raid with Morgan, also have found grave)
    Pvt Matthew Combs, Co. G
    3rd great uncles:
    Sgt Halter Sexton, Co. A
    Pvt Joseph Sexton, Co. A

Union
    2nd Great Grandfather
    Pvt Robert G. VanZant, 13th KY Inf., Co. D (have found grave)
    3rd Great Grandfather
    Pvt Evan D. Froedge, 37th KY Inf. Co. A (have found grave)
    2nd Great Uncle
    1st Sgt James W. VanZant, 13th KY Inf. Co. D (have found grave)

It appears some of our ancestors likely served together or fought against each other: here are some of mine most relevant to the 13 KY Cav (I have identified well over 100, including cousins, mostly in SW VA/SE KY).
    At least four of my ancestors served with the 13th Kentucky (Caudill’s) Cavalry—my ggg-uncle Hiram F. Strong, 1st cousins Ira Estill Fugate and Nathan Ellington Fugate, and 2nd cousin Edward Callahan Strong. I also had 4 cousins who served with the 5th Kentucky Infantry. My gg-grandfather Reuben Henderson Morgan, who later became an ordained minister in the Church of Christ, served with the Scott County (Virginia) Militia, along with at least 3 of his nephews. A 1st cousin, Robert Preston Spencer, who was reported to be the oldest man in the 64th Virginia Mounted Infantry/Cavalry, served that unit as a Chaplain. Chaplain Spencer’s son James F. Spencer was wounded at Pound Gap Station, Virginia, on March 16, 1862, and died of his wounds the following day. Another son, William G. Spencer, enlisted when he was 16, and served with the 25th Virginia Cavalry. A number of other cousins served the Confederacy with the 64th and 25th, as well as the 48th Virginia Infantry, the Missouri Cavalry, the Texas Cavalry, and the Georgia Infantry. At least one cousin, James Monroe Dykes, was among those members of the 64th VA captured at Cumberland Gap who died of disease at Chicago’s infamous Camp Douglas. Some of the other family names for my many ancestors who served the Confederacy are: Bolton, Cogswell, Head, Hickam, Hopkins, Franklin, Frazier, Lewis, Livingston, Oakley, Osborne, Quillen, Rash, Ware, Williams, and Woolsey.

As might be expected in an area of the country where family loyalties were tragically divided, I also have many Union ancestors, including gg-grandfathers Armstrong Abbott (59th Indiana Infantry) and Byrd Franklin (65th KY Infantry (Enrolled Militia)), who married Susan Strong, the niece of the 13th KY Cavalry’s Surgeon Strong. One of Surgeon Strong’s cousins was William “Captain Bill” Strong, the Captain of Company K, 14th KY Cavalry (Union).
    Mick Cole

Default Hilliard's Alabama Volunteer Legion

I had quite a few that fought for the South, but I know the most about one.
    Private Joel Jackson Davenport-1st Battalion Hilliard's Alabama Volunteer Legion/60th Alabama Infantry Co I. He fought at Chickamauga GA where he was wounded on the last day of the battle , The siege of Knoxville TN, Dandridge TN, Drewry's Bluff VA(second battle there), He was wounded at Drewry's bluff and that was the last fighting he did. He was paroled at Ft .Deposit AL in 1865.
    Derrick Pugh

Western Independent Grays
    S.C.A.R.

Well, the only ancestor that I have found, thus so far, is my 3rd Great Grandfather, John Daniel Nelson. Or, "J D Nelson" as it is show on his military records. John Daniel was appointed as the Surgeon of the 4th Georgia Infantry, CSA, in 1863. He served in this capacity to the end of the war. He was at home, on sick leave, when Sherman came through the Northern Georgia area, on his was to the Sea. He joined in with a local unit, to defend against Sherman and his Army. After the war, he returned to his life as a blacksmith/gunsmith. He was a very prominent figure in the northern part of the State of Georgia. He owned lands that eventually became marble quarries. The most known was the Georgia Marble Company. Now, there is a town named after him, "Nelson, Georgia".
    I Remain, Your Obedient Servant,
    Jimmy "Doc" Nelson
    Moderator (well, sometimes . . hehehe )
    ** We have Rules here! **

Daylight Lodge # 760 F&AM
    Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonels

In honor of my 3rd Great Grandfather: "John Daniel Nelson", Surgeon, 4th Georgia Infantry, CSA

I had family that fought on both sides of the war, but the only records that we could find were that of my great-great grandfather Thomas Wardrip and great-great grandfather George H. Harrington who both fought for the Union's 12th KY Cavalry Co. C. They enlisted in 1862 and were musterd out in late 1865. Both ended up as corporals by wars end. I have a another relative, Foster Miller, who was a drummer boy in the Union army. We have not been able to find out what KY regiment he served under yet, all we have is a photo .
    Micah Trent
    2nd Most Hated Reenactor in Kentucky - Western Federal Blues
    Friends of Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site

Default Ancestors

The two I'm aware of...

Pvt. W.H. Adams, Co. D, 13th GA Vol. Inf (G-G Grandfather), surrendered at Appomattox.

Pvt. Moses Adams, Co. D, 13th GA Vol Inf (G-G-Uncle), died of "apoplectic fit" on the field at 2nd Manassas. Buried on the field, grave unknown.

The 13th GA was posted near the the current Gettysburg High School (near Cemetery Hill) I found the marker over there a couple of years back.

John Adams
    Huckleberry Mess

It's highly unlikely for me to have any direct ancestors who were in the States during the War, let alone fought on either side, but if there was a male he'd most likely have been wearing blue, I think. He'd have come from Ireland or Newfoundland, spoken Waterford Irish as his first language, most likely be a fisherman/sailor and rejoice in the name Power (Paorach) or Barry (Barra or Bearrach).

Beidh la eile ag an Paorach.
    Last edited by Frenchie; 02-02-2007 at 12:36 PM.
    Yours, &c.,

Guy N. 'Frenchie' LaFrance
    National Congress of Old West Shootists, Grand Army of the Frontier
    Vous pouvez voir par mes vêtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

My Great Great Great Grandfather:
    Andrew Wagner, 184th PVI Company I

Also my family (Slentz's) were tenants of the McPherson Farm in Gettysburg. This is the large white barn without a home that is on the first day of battle. The house was used as a hospital and was burned after the battle. My family has the records for items lost during the battle and fire, which is really cool plus some original pictures of the home and family. The family left the home and fled to the Luthern Seminary as the first days action became hot.
    Andre Wagner
    *Lt. Colonel: Corps. of Topographical Engineers detached to Birney's Division
    *portraying Francis Channing Barlow, Brigadier General

"A Progressive Crusader in a Mainstream camp"

"He looked like an independently mounted newsboy", said by a member of General Meade's staff, referring to Francis C. Barlow: the "Boy General"

I have about 18 or 19 ancestors that I know of who served in the war on the Confederate side and I believe 4 that served in the Union Army. These are both direct and colateral ancestors. Some are:
    Sgt. George Daniel Mitchell, Co. E, 8th Texas Cav. (Terry's Texas Rangers)
    Pvt. Archibald L. Graham, Co. K, 8th Texas Infantry (Hobby's Regt.)
    Pvt. Reuben Graham, Co. K. 8th Texas Infantry
    Pvt. Abram Gleghorn, Co. B, 29th Arkansas Infantry
    Pvt. Richard Milo Stoughton, 39th Iowa Infantry
    Corporal Lewis D. Richards, Co. M, 1st Indiana Heavy Artillery
    I have about a dozen colateral ancestors who served in South Carolina regiments. Their last Name was Putman.
    I'm not at home right now with my records, so that's about all I can name off the top of my head.
    I'm proud of them all..... both sides!
    Lee Ragan

Default well

Christian Ludwig Mueller, Pvt, 5th Company, Fusilier Regt Von Lossberg, captured at Trenton, escaped from Carlisle...oops wrong war...

S. Chris Anders
    Southern Division
    www.southerndivision.org
    http://www.civilwarhenrico.com/

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things. - Niccoló Machiavelli, The Prince. 1537.