Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Federal Soldier w/sack coat, and knapsack

Spanky,

Neither of those are a Federal 'issue' shirt. I've got one bumping around in the work box that was patterned off the an original in the Wisconsin Veterans Museum that has needed buttons for at least two years. I finally found the ones I'd bought to finish the shirt up. I'll bring it in a few weeks so you can see and feel the difference.

The Federal domet shirt really makes no sense to a modern mindset. Until a feller has marched a week in the rain---then it makes sense. There's a reason I mostly wear wool dresses too.
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Did your sales post disappear? Try again. But read the rules first.
    Here they are: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...Classified-Ads

Wear the cotton print shirt. The white muslin shirt is no good for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by PvtHooper View Post
    Wear the cotton print shirt. The white muslin shirt is no good for anything.
    Nuh-uh, you always need gun patches.
    The second one is a better choice, but don't fixate on it. Sweat the big stuff, not the small. This is a short school talk, not Red River Campaign. There are so many things that kids don't know about the 1860s that you will barely make a dent in a scratch on the surface. Have fun, be natural, introduce them to the wild notion that history can be fun. You may be forming new reenactors too, you know.
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty

Quote Originally Posted by PvtHooper View Post
    Also, never let the kids shoot it.
    I would urge you not to let them touch it unless you are very clear about the regulations in your community.

Also, don't let the gun become the focus of what they bring away from this. Many soldiers rarely fired their guns, but all of them had a profound interaction with their gear.

A REAL Federal Issue wool shirt is a thing of beauty, both for its utter simplicity AND its comfort. Remember, THEY used LYE SOAP, so their skin was likely used to scratchy fabrics and harsh conditions. The wool shirt is more cooling in Summer and warmer in Winter. Cotton is just a PITA.
    Bill Cross
    Treasurer, The Rowdy Pards

'In the end, it's the history, stupid. If you can't document it, forget about it. And no amount of tomfoolery can explain away anything that makes history (and living historians) look stupid and wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_Cross View Post

A REAL Federal Issue wool shirt is a thing of beauty, both for its utter simplicity AND its comfort. Remember, THEY used LYE SOAP, so their skin was likely used to scratchy fabrics and harsh conditions. The wool shirt is more cooling in Summer and warmer in Winter. Cotton is just a PITA.
    Bill,

I may just have to change my signature line............there are those on the distaff side who already call me the 'cotton kills' lady for my dour opinions on cotton dresses.
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Did your sales post disappear? Try again. But read the rules first.
    Here they are: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...Classified-Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowhammer Rebel View Post
    Leave out the poncho as they weren't issued to infantry
    In general, you are correct. However, there were infantry units which received ponchos instead of gum blankets. I was surprised to read that in first hand accounts, but it did happen. Once again, never say "never".

School age children will not care if the presenter has a gum blanket or a painted/tarred blanket or a poncho. What they'll care about is that it's all that separates you from the ground. Same holds true for every other item you'll present. Don't get bogged down in small details they can't handle. No one but us cares if the button holes are hand sewn or not, but they do care that it's made of wool or a wool/cotton mix.
    Bernard Biederman
    30th OVI
    Co. B

Default School talks

Since you are at a State Park and outside I highly recommend setting up a shelter tent and do your talk by that.

The best talks that I have done always included having spare items to pass around for the kids to hold. The weight of brogans, the scratchy feeling of coarse wool, etc. teach much more than just words. For upper age kids I even used a cartridge box with 40 dummy rounds that had the lead bullet so they can feel the true weight. Have your canteen full of water.

And picking someone out of the group to put stuff on is fun too, but it can create some jealousy. Try to pick the kid that is obviously not the one that always is "chosen" to do everything.

One last bit of advice, be prepared to get off the script in your head. You never know where the kids questions might take you.

Pvt. Spanky,

There will be dedicated stations at the CMP School Days program on April 4th. Do you know what station you are assigned to? The last several years there has been: Infantry, Cavalry, Artillery, Uniforms (mine,) Soldiers Haversack, Flags (in the church) and Music. If assigned to the Infantry station, I assume Captain Redd wants everyone in Confederate Uniform.

I suggest communicating with the 33rd prior to arriving.
    Galen Wagner
    Yellowhammer Rifles
    Past Master, Oak Park # 864 F&AM
    Montgomery, AL

gwagner,

this was for a different event not CMP, i was a confederate for CMP...
    Pvt. Spanky
    51st Alabama Cavalry
    33rd Alabama Infantry Company E

"Surrender means that the history of this heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers; learn from northern school teachers; learn from northern school books THEIR version of the war; and taught to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects of derision."
    General. Patrick Cleburne, CSA