Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Half Boots

Default Half Boots

I've seen a number of on line sutlers selling half boots that are supposedly correct for Mexican War or Civil War, but I can find no evidence of them ever being used during the Civil War. Were boots like these ever issued?

thumbs_Shoes-1.jpg

Issued? No. Did they exist? probably.
    David Thomas
    Starr's Battery
    Fayetteville, NC
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/AuthenticCWArtillery/

Quote Originally Posted by faabala View Post
    Issued? No. Did they exist? probably.
    Do you know of any documentation that could substantiate that?

Here's a document that is worth reviewing, especially as it notes things that changes--and notes that many uniform items did not change.

http://www.qmfound.com/changes_in_th...iform_1895.htm

There is particular description of lace up boots, extending 4 inches above the ankle, with notes for the early part of the century and additional commentary that the uniform continues mostly unchanged in the 1830's. Alas, the whole of the article does not speak as much to footwear as one would wish.

Whether the construction of the ones pictured meets parameters is a whole 'nuther research byway . The fact that the item actually has a squared toe, instead of a modern tapered toe, puts it much more within the realm of a 'period appearance' shoe, though I'm not content with the taper and shape from the top of the foot to the toe box.
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Did your sales post disappear? Try again. But read the rules first.
    Here they are: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...Classified-Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster View Post
    Here's a document that is worth reviewing, especially as it notes things that changes--and notes that many uniform items did not change.

http://www.qmfound.com/changes_in_th...iform_1895.htm

There is particular description of lace up boots, extending 4 inches above the ankle, with notes for the early part of the century and additional commentary that the uniform continues mostly unchanged in the 1830's. Alas, the whole of the article does not speak as much to footwear as one would wish.

Whether the construction of the ones pictured meets parameters is a whole 'nuther research byway . The fact that the item actually has a squared toe, instead of a modern tapered toe, puts it much more within the realm of a 'period appearance' shoe, though I'm not content with the taper and shape from the top of the foot to the toe box.
    So then technically not historically accurate as far as anyone knows. I wonder if they would work OK with gaiters?

Quote Originally Posted by California Joe View Post
    So then technically not historically accurate as far as anyone knows. I wonder if they would work OK with gaiters?
    Out of curiosity, are you attempting to find some way to substaniate you wearing these shoes? If I remember, a lot of units did not wear gaitors either.
    Fritz Jacobs
    CPT, QM, USAR (Ret)
    VP Kentucky Soldiers Aide Society
    CPTFritz@aol.com

As a civilian shoe, the concept is there and acceptable if the are constructed in a reasonable period manner--something I can't see from the picture.

If you are trying to make these into a make-do issue appearance shoe by adding gaiters,.......mmmmmm, not so much. Gaiters disappear pretty quickly as soon as the war gets well underway for all but a few very specialized impressions.

By the way, don't assume no action on the thread means there is not additional info out there. A great number of the research-focused men in the Deep South and anybody who coul break past the snow line is in Florida this weekend, and a lot of them have been marching through palmetto barrens since Thursday.
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Did your sales post disappear? Try again. But read the rules first.
    Here they are: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...Classified-Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Out of curiosity, are you attempting to find some way to substaniate you wearing these shoes? If I remember, a lot of units did not wear gaitors either.
    They look like they'd have better ankle support than conventional brogans. I'm just wondering if these boots might be a suitable substitute.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster View Post
    As a civilian shoe, the concept is there and acceptable if the are constructed in a reasonable period manner--something I can't see from the picture.

If you are trying to make these into a make-do issue appearance shoe by adding gaiters,.......mmmmmm, not so much. Gaiters disappear pretty quickly as soon as the war gets well underway for all but a few very specialized impressions.

By the way, don't assume no action on the thread means there is not additional info out there. A great number of the research-focused men in the Deep South and anybody who coul break past the snow line is in Florida this weekend, and a lot of them have been marching through palmetto barrens since Thursday.
    Thanks, I hope to see more replies. I appreciate all the information I can get, anecdotal or otherwise.

Hallo!

I cannot see enough detail I the photo to comment on.... but in brief and to over generalize...

"Half boots" were an 18th century English affectation often worn by jockeys, liverymen, and sometimes laborers. By the time of the ACW, civilian footwear had evolved a style of men's shoe that was high topped (sometimes referred to know as "hi-lo's'')

Once in a Blue Moon in a Month of Sundays, one does come across ACW images of seated officers where their trousers have ridden up high to reveal they are wearing over the ankle, laced up, "shoe-boots."

Here is an image of British laborers during the 1852-1854 construction of the Crystal Palace for example. I would have to go through thousands of saved Period images to find an officer or officers with them.

They would evolve after the 1870's into "Ropers."

IMHO, this can quickly gets into a Hobby community or segment PEC-type discussions of finding something that exists somewhere in the Period and then trying to put it on the feet of an enlistedman not likely having the money or access to have it, etc., etc.

Curt
    Last edited by Curt-Heinrich Schmidt; 02-15-2014 at 07:32 PM.
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

Not a real Civil War reenactor, I only portray one on boards and fora.
    I do not portray a Civil War soldier, I merely interpret one.