Thread: Danville Arsenal

Default Danville Arsenal

Has anyone out there ever seen an surviving artifacts/markings from the Danville Arsenal in Danville, Virginia? I'm doing some research on it and to my knowledge there is nothing extant. But you never know what might turn up. Maj. Hutter was in charge there and I have read some of his correspondence about the types of items they were producing and repairing. I will post more of that information if there's an interest.

Thanks,
    Chris Hanks
    Dan River Rifles
    Pittsylvania County, Va

Default Images

Dear moderator,

Would it be possible to grant me registered user status? I'd like to post a couple of images related to the Danville Arsenal thread.

Thanks,
    Chris Hanks
    Dan River Rifles
    Pittsylvania County, Va

Dear Chris,

Give it one more post and 24 hours, and you are there---the software will flip you over into Registered Member status.
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Did your sales post disappear? Try again. But read the rules first.
    Here they are: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...Classified-Ads

Thank you kindly Mrs. Lawson.

Chris

Default Items fabricated at the Danville Arsenal in early 1864

This document lists some of the articles being fabricated at the Danville Arsenal in the first quarter of 1864.

Attachment 17117
    Attached Images Attached Images

confed...nice piece...where did you locate this?
    As always, OBSVT, Joe Cress..... "General, if they put every man they have......on the field to approach me......just give me plenty ammunition.....I'll kill 'em all.....before they reach my lines."

Chris
    .. Having conducted much research into both Ord and QM depots, Im familiar with Edward Hutter of Danville. Interesting little depot and small arms repair shop he had there. If memory serves correctly he obtained contracts with at least four local arms makers to produce carbines and other arms pieces-parts forwarded to the Carbine factory in Richmond. Gun stocks for both Richmond and Macon... and various other misc items... Internally mostly repairing damaged arms. If you had a bucket of metal files to sell... you could have been a rich man there...lol.. Seems constant shortage of obtaining some of the basic items needed, especially files....

Im not aware of any items that were ever marked or specifically identified to have come from Danville. Most internal or contracted CS goods were usually unmarked. The production numbers were generally small as compared to many of the other state/regional depots, but still very interesting just the same...
    Lieut Frederick Sineth
    14th Virginia Infantry Regt Co.I
    - 106th Penna Vol Co.F

- Pegrams Va Artillery
    - 150th Sailors Creek

Outlaw, thanks...this was in Maj. Hutter's compiled military service record. It contains quite a bit of correspondence related to the arsenal.

Lt, thanks for the reply...I wasn't sure how the system worked as to marking items produced. It does seem that Hutter spent a good deal of his time writing to Richmond for supplies. He definitely had contracts with Keen & Walker and Bilharz/Hall for carbines, and perhaps others. I wish I had a carbine by either of those makers today...from what I understand they're pretty rare and quite valuable.

By the way, my 3rd great grandfather was in the 14th Va...James G. Boyd. (I'll always plug an ancestor when the opportunity presents itself )

Chris
    ... Another area contractor was Read & Watson, producing Hall Carbines under contract by Hutter at Danville, they being forwarded to Richmond. Someone else if I recall correctly was making parts... barrel bands come to mind... If I can find the rest of my files... (no pun intended). There is an inspection report from a Lt. Cunningham that gives a little insight to what they had or was doing at that given time if you haven't found that report yet. About Feb-Mar 1865 Richmond had sent them some additional machinery. It was also commented on by the Federal forces that entered and inspected the facility in Apr 1865. Not long after the reportedly accidental detonation of the powder storage.

Most of the smaller regional Depots at Danville, Bristol, Dublin, Wytheville, Lynchburg, Staunton etc... Engaged in procuring provisions forage, lumber, and wide range of raw materials from their respective local areas. Depending on what they had available locally, contracting for other ready made goods. Depository for both QM and Ord stores to have supply available in the regions. A turn in point for damaged arms and goods. Most weren't much more than a storehouse or forwarding station, others such as Staunton established a clothing and shoe manufactory. Danville had its repair shop.

Boyd of Co.K?.... "DRR"... Im sure I probably know several of your fellow pards down that way..... We'll probably cross paths at some point this year... lol...
    Lieut Frederick Sineth
    14th Virginia Infantry Regt Co.I
    - 106th Penna Vol Co.F

- Pegrams Va Artillery
    - 150th Sailors Creek