Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pegged vs. Sewn soles on brogans ?

Hallo!

I take the liberty of pulling this out of Herr John's most excellent research discussion on the AC Forum for the ease of seeing it here...

"Q. What is your opinion as to the comparative merits of sewed and pegged shoes for army use?
    A. For spring and winter use I prefer the pegged shoe. I bought some 46,000 pairs of them, apparently very good, at $1.25 to $1.30 a pair, intending them for General Banks division of the army; but some of them got to Washington, instead of going to General Bank's column, which they were bought for, and I got rapped over the knuckles for buying, for the quartermaster general did not approve of it.
    Q. From your own experience in the army, and as quartermaster, taking into consideration the difference in the cost of pegged shoes and sewed shoes, and taking into consideration also the different seasons, which, in your judgment, is the best for the army?
    A. The pegged shoes. I had rather have them at the same price. The British army in Canada use nothing else. the French army to-day use nothing else. I could have saved the government hundreds of thousands of dollars if they allowed me to purchase pegged shoes."

Curt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

Not a real Civil War reenactor, I only portray one on boards and fora.
    I do not portray a Civil War soldier, I merely interpret one.

My apologies all...I neglected to date any of that. The investigation was held in late 1861 through early 1862. Obviously it applies to the early period of the war.

Thanks Curt for posting that here. I realize that old post is "book length", but that testimony is pure gold. How often do we run across an interview with a Civil War Quartermaster?

John

Interesting discussion because while this information on sole construction is correct, the biggest historical accuracy problems with reproduction "bootees" has
    nothing to do with whether the soles are pegged or sewn...especially the imported versions readily available at most events.
    Craig L Barry

Author: The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by Craig L Barry View Post
    Interesting discussion because while this information on sole construction is correct, the biggest historical accuracy problems with reproduction "bootees" has
    nothing to do with whether the soles are pegged or sewn...especially the imported versions readily available at most events.
    Are you talking about the shape of the sole, especially the width of the arch?

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@gmail.com

Yes Craig, please explain what you mean. No suttler row shoe is correct concerning sole shape, heel shape and last shape. There are only few makers out there who really care about all these three details but there are some.
    Of the hundreds of pegged brogans and boots I have made I have never made the experience that a peg fell out. If the pegs failed then the whole sole became loos but this was due to usage and sorage. The Germany Army used pegged soles in 2 wars although they had an additional MCKay stitching.
    Of course the climate in America especially in the south and west is different. The swelling of the pegs when moist is what keeps them in the leather! If the leather and pegs become too dry they might seperate.....