Thread: Artillery Crates

Default Artillery Crates

Can any of you direct me twards dimensions for 6pndr artillery crates? I see the 12pndr crates all over the the place but nothing for the 6. As a winter project I plan to build a couple of artillery crates, a .69 buck and ball crate, and a .44 pistol crate. My goal is better storage and the removal of stools from my area this season.

Thanks in advance.
    Bill Hein

Pvt

Bledsoes Missouri battery.

The Artillery Ammunition Packing Boxes per Ordnance Manuel of 1861:
    6 lbr Case & Shot; holding 14 rounds (Interior measurements)
    Length: 21 in.
    Width: 8.75 in.
    Depth: 7.75 in.
    Lieut Frederick Sineth
    14th Virginia Infantry Regt Co.I
    - 106th Penna Vol Co.F

- Pegrams Va Artillery
    - 150th Sailors Creek

Thanks! I need to get me one of them manuals.

One last question then. Did the 6 pounder boxes have rope handles like the others?
    Bill Hein

Pvt

Bledsoes Missouri battery.

Bill
    .. Ord Regs (both 1861 & 1863) state they are to have rope handles. However what was actually manufactured and used didnt always follow the regs. I have examined some surviving from Macon Arsenal that had ropes (or holes for them remaining). Others not. Boxes that Ive examined originating/marked from the Richmond Arsenal did not have rope handles. Same variation issue found in regards to exterior box painted colors to indicate different projectile type. Majority (CS) found did not always follow the regs color coding system.

One probable reason I discovered that there are much fewer Artillery packing boxes surviving is that these were frequently turned back in to Ord folks and sent back to the Arsenal for recycling. Ord/Arsenal returns reflect empty boxes being turned back in from the field, as well as several original boxes Ive examined had evidence of being repainted, re-stenciled several times.

Also on a side note.. besides the typical ammunition and hardtack boxes, there were others out there that soldiers sometimes got access to... such as horse/mule shoe crates... horse nails, and various other field issued items originating from commercial contractors via the QM system... Something else to ponder as an additional option...
    Lieut Frederick Sineth
    14th Virginia Infantry Regt Co.I
    - 106th Penna Vol Co.F

- Pegrams Va Artillery
    - 150th Sailors Creek

Quote Originally Posted by gambit88 View Post
    Thanks! I need to get me one of them manuals. ....
    You can get a free download of the Ordnance Manual for free from : http://www.artilleryreserve.org/
    David Einhorn, Author of the book titled, "Civil War Blacksmithing" available from Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/Civil-War-Blac...+blacksmithing