Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Notice to Junior Members....

Exclamation Notice to Junior Members....

Friends,

If you've joined in the last couple of years, and have not posted much, or at all, its likely you are a Junior Member.

This limits your forum usage: There are features you cannot access until you are Registered Member.

You become a Registered Member by having a sufficient number of moderator approved posts in the Discussion forums.

Most of you have discovered that you cannot see images in posts unless you are logged in--which may even be why you joined in the first place. You may be the retiring sort who simply does not have a lot to say.

Here's our problem: We have a lot of folks in the database over a span of years who have never made a post. Sorting this massive database to clean it out based on log in dates or anything else is cumbersome. We are about to do some major housecleaning.

So, if you have an account, and haven't said anything for awhile---Speak UP. If nothing else, tell us who you are, where you are, and what unit you are a member of .

Because in just a little while, we are going to delete accounts with no posts. Even that little bitty electronic blip has costs to maintain it, and we are looking for ways to mitigate those costs.

Yes, this thread is a good place to post--as usual, Junior Members posts are moderated, and must be read and approved by a moderator before they appear.
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Did your sales post disappear? Try again. But read the rules first.
    Here they are: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...Classified-Ads

Terre,
    I am a lurker having little to add to any discussion, thus few post. I once belonged to a group of misfits residing in Texas that as far as I know, have moved to Mexico. I no longer attent events because I developed a bad reaction to sleeping in the rain, particularly in Louisiana and can no longer digestively stomach tainted venison. I may in the future try to sell worn out gear and if so, drop a few pesos in the coffers of Oz. Please consider this a post and don't toss me into the cyber trash heap.
    Last edited by old reb46; 12-29-2013 at 11:08 AM.
    Tom
    Outcast Mess

Uncle Tom

No Worries. It says Registered User up under your name in the left hand corner of your post. All those users are staying.

besides, you might leave me in the woods cause you can still set a pace that I cannot match......
    Mrs. Lawson

I'd say that some of the lurkers learn more by lurking that actually participating. I've seen 'em, don't have much to say, but when thay do, watch out, they know the book.
    Fritz Jacobs
    CPT, QM, USAR (Ret)
    VP Kentucky Soldiers Aide Society
    CPTFritz@aol.com

Default ...Another Very Junior Member Reporting In

...Yes, I'm another one of those members that hasn't posted except once or twice. I've been in the hobby a few years now but feel there's not much I can really contribute at this point. (At 49, I feel like I did 28 years ago when I first joined the U.S. Army -- like a sponge!)

If nothing else, thanks to all of you Loyal CWR Forum Folks that continually help me grow in this hobby and my rather newly-found passion - the Civil War and Antebellum period.

Your Humble Servant,
    Todd Vajner

Fayetteville, NC

Cool

Then you have us NEW KIDS (16 here) trying to "gain access" to these forums to buy gear only to have our posts wait until someone posts down their knitting(HUGE GRIN ) to approve our post in the meanwhile someone gets ahead of us and buys the stuff. So we go back to our corners and sit with our pointy hats waiting for the next table scrape until we get our magic number of posts.
    Hey,,,,what is that number anyway? I could go start my own thread and make repeated posts until I hit that number?

Quote Originally Posted by CC6thVa View Post
    Hey,,,,what is that number anyway? I could go start my own thread and make repeated posts until I hit that number?
    Sorry, nope. When we see a 'run up' on post count with no substance behind it, trying to get to the magic number, we tend to slow the approval. What we are looking for is time spent in learning the community and its expectations. What we've found since putting this in place is that we've spent far less time dealing with disputes over sales, even though our sales volume is up.

A lot a new users require extensive correspondence before their posts ever reach the board--we often have to link forum rules or request that standard English be used as opposed to LOL CatSpeak. Never mind the spammers we delete without y'all ever seeing them. They may make a normal post or two, but not enough to gain access.
    Mrs. Lawson

Good morning,

I am yet another of the folks that you are speaking about; looking, reading, learning, but not posting on the forum. I could give you a long list of boring accolades about who I am and what I have done, but like previously said in this sentence, BORING. Marriage, children, job, and eating (not always in that order) caused me to get out of the hobby. I enjoy logging on and reading what is going in the world of reenacting and wish a site like this would have existed back in the day.

Still in the field near Chattanooga,

Douglas

I'm guilty of this, but I want to stick around. I also feel like I can often learn more by simply reading and observing than speaking up and getting involved in discussions that to be honest sometimes stray off topic and get out of hand. I'm gradually getting back into the hobby after a hiatus in another time period, and have work, long commutes, and school work to contend with--not to mention the pressure of home.

Chris
    Chris Bartone

Keep them coming folks--all we need is one coherent post.....because that's the marker we will use to sort out accounts that are not being used at all. As long as you speak up, that tells us you want to stay.
    Mrs. Lawson