Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Andrews Raiders"

Default "Andrews Raiders"

In the works today there is a re-make of "The Great Locomotive Chase" This production will be Historicly accurate, but will have some fiction added to keep it from looking like a documentry. we are working on this film and have the script. We are part of the technical consulting, and reenactor casting, also we are looking for input on this story as well. The writer wants to tell Both Sides of this project, and showcase the Fact that one of the first "Medals' Of Honor" were awarded to the members of the raid. This project is not going to be a washed over story, it will be a Gritty-Grimey-Realistic project. No actors with the "Blow Dry Look" , but a realistic look of the events. We would like some input on this project, how many people would enjoy seeing this type of film? Any added ideas for the story? Also this will be filmed in the Southeast-not Hollywood-Romania, or Canada.

As a fan of railroading and growing up along the tracks where the W&A RR ran just south of Kennesaw I would love to see a good portrayal of the event in question. Bear in mind this would not likely be a huge blockbuster but would likely be expensive to do right so I am wondering what kind of budget you are looking at. Also your comment about adding fiction concerns me.

One thing I also would suggest is to not make villans out of either side. Portray both the raiders and Fuller's men as they were, real men doing what they thought was right and both being heroic in their efforts.
    Robert Collett
    8th FL / 13th IN
    Armory Guards
    WIG
    Common Ground forum http://www.thecommonground.proboards.com

Robert, The question of fiction refers to a few characters, not the historical events. As you know some of the events leading up to the Chase were not recorded, and a lot of information about some of the events were broken up by a few different "personal accounts" in the history books. Kurtz who was married to the daughter of Fuller, and the Tech adviser for Disney is the main source of information about this story, but a trip through the Museum in Big Shanty fills in some of the gaps, and we will be working with folks from there. The writer wants to add more "probable characters" to Andrews trips through the South, and make it more then just a One day event of the war. Also the writer and the rest of us do not foresee a "Block Buster" but hopefully a film that will have a modest beginning, and when it goes to DVD will be like the Disney film--still selling DVDS today. The production budget will be well below 8 figures and should make a reasonable profit.

I hope your endevour succeeds, but I must admit I get a bit cynical when I hear about someone who wants to take a classic film and remake it with a "grittier" look. They recently did this with "The Alamo" and it was a total disaster; a dark and ugly film that had almost no redeeming qualities. Sure, John Wayne's Alamo was not exactly historically accurate, but it had a sincere love of country behind it that will keep people watching it long after the self-loathing remake has disappeared from the discount DVD bin at Walmart.
    Last edited by Spare_Man; 01-27-2007 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by david48
    Robert, The question of fiction refers to a few characters, not the historical events. As you know some of the events leading up to the Chase were not recorded, and a lot of information about some of the events were broken up by a few different "personal accounts" in the history books. Kurtz who was married to the daughter of Fuller, and the Tech adviser for Disney is the main source of information about this story, but a trip through the Museum in Big Shanty fills in some of the gaps, and we will be working with folks from there. The writer wants to add more "probable characters" to Andrews trips through the South, and make it more then just a One day event of the war. Also the writer and the rest of us do not foresee a "Block Buster" but hopefully a film that will have a modest beginning, and when it goes to DVD will be like the Disney film--still selling DVDS today. The production budget will be well below 8 figures and should make a reasonable profit.
    That does give me some level of comfort. With less than a $1M cost, how are you proposing to find proper locomotives?

I am very familiar with the Museum in Kennesaw (formerly the Big Shanty Museum) and they do have quite a bit of information. You may also want to take a look at the Cyclorama to see if they have any information that would help beyond the actual Texas sitting there. One thing you are fortunate is that both locomotives are preserved if not in their original form at least they are there for reference. The Kennesaw museum also has prints of the General as she appeared during the war.

Also sent you a PM
    Last edited by toptimlrd; 01-27-2007 at 05:36 PM.
    Robert Collett
    8th FL / 13th IN
    Armory Guards
    WIG

Default Budget and look

First for your ? Robert, the budget will be around $4-7 Million for production cost, not added is the Marketing cost, that would depend on the distributor. The locomotive (a 4-4-0) is available, the rolling stock will have to be constructed using existing equipment (matting and camera angles will cover modern features). As to the gritty look, a better explaination is a "Realistic Look" to bring history to life. In the near future We will be adding updates on our website www.gandwenterprises.com also here. My Wife's family had 125 family members that fought for the South, and about 65 for the North. She does a lot of Family research their name was Porterfield.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by david48
    First for your ? Robert, the budget will be around $4-7 Million for production cost,

Sorry, meant to type $10M in my earlier post not $1M. $10M will not be easy, but under $1M would be a miracle.
    Robert Collett
    8th FL / 13th IN
    Armory Guards
    WIG

Thumbs up Gritty

Quote Originally Posted by Spare_Man
    I must admit I get a bit cynical when I hear about someone who wants to take a classic film and remake it with a "grittier" look. They recently did this with "The Alamo" and it was a total disaster; a dark and ugly film that had almost no redeeming qualities.
    I had a different experience of the recent production of "The Alamo". I liked it so much that I own a DVD that I watch over and over. Aside from being more historically accurate in clothing, equipment, setting, etc., I was drawn to the characters, themselves. These were real people, flawed people, who, when it mattered most, rose to the occasion. Travis' growth as a leader is, in my opinion, very well portrayed. Crocket I find much more admirable without the mythology that his name accumulated. I can even relate to Bowie, shady past and all, as he relinquishes control and command when he becomes physically incapable. Most of all, I saw courage being portrayed as doing what needs to be done despite your fears, rather than courage as an absence of fear.

If the new production of "The General" can capture the characters of this event in the same way, it will be well worth the effort. I wish them well and look forward to viewing the finished product.
    \"Die Gedanken sind frei\"

John Thielmann

I thank all of you for your comments, all types are needed for a project that is of interest to a large section of the world. I feel, and I may be wrong (won't be the first or the last) That folks with an interest of Trains, History, and Family entertainment will want to see this Film. The best rating we can hope for is a PG13 (any violence At All gets this rating) The writer wants this to be a "Family Film", and one that has the potential to be a classic. All comments are welcome, and thanks again for the ones so far.

Default casting ideas anyone?

We are looking for input on casting Ideas, anyone have any input? Thanks