Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Navy Canvas wieght

Default Navy Canvas wieght

Comrades,

A while ago, by accident I found a table of the differing weights of canvas used by the Navy and for what each weight was used for. Now, I cant seem to find it. Anyone know where I might look or have the table at their disposal?

Respectfully, Etc
    Bobby Hughes
    Co A, 2nd Battalion Ga Sharpshooters/64th Illinois Vol Infantry "Yates' Sharpshooters"
    Savannah Republican Blues
    Co C, 3rd US Infantry
    Ships of the Sea Maritime Museum & William Scarbrough House, Savannah, GA

"I hope to live long enough to see my surviving comrades march side by side with the Union veterans along Pennsylvania Avenue, and then I will die happy." - James Longstreet at a Memorial Day Parade in 1902.

Okay, never mind, I found it! It was on the Navy and Marine yahoo group
    Bobby Hughes
    Co A, 2nd Battalion Ga Sharpshooters/64th Illinois Vol Infantry "Yates' Sharpshooters"
    Co C, 3rd US Infantry

"I hope to live long enough to see my surviving comrades march side by side with the Union veterans along Pennsylvania Avenue, and then I will die happy." - James Longstreet at a Memorial Day Parade in 1902.

GAWildcat you beat me to it I have a question for you. I have read Seaman Bacon's letters when he received his transfer to the CSS Savannah. How common would the naval dress jacket (monkey jacket) have been? I know the CSN had a polyglot of Fed/CSN/CSA uniforms depending on the year.I'm planning on attending the 150th Saylors Creek as part of Tuckers Brigade. I'm thinking on using one of the Southern depot shells in place of the monkey jacket. You thoughts greatly appreciated.

Geo. Dailey
    USNLP (western waters)
    Battery D 1st Michigan

I know Bobby can pipe in on this as well, but the crew of the CSS Savannah received a hodgepodge of blue clothing in all kinds but regulation navy, and the later arrivals from Company K, 7th Florida recieved nothing for some time and were relegated to wearing their Army or civilian clothing. Robert Watson notes in his diary/memoirs that many made their own clothing from supplied cloth, which jibes with much of what other CS sailors noted for the duration of the war. The first two years, the eastern navy was flush with Federal naval clothing taken from several captured shipyards, while the western boys never quite got the rewards and made due largely with civilian and merchant laborer's garments. As to your direct question of monkey jackets, there were quite a few issued to CS sailors in Virginia and those working garrison duty at CS facilities throughout the south, but by '63 we find less and less documentation of issue. For something as late as Saylor's creek, you'll be well served to use a combination of labor's and army clothing. A nondescript depot jacket matched with flannel overshirts of blue or red, jean trousers in blue or gray, and civilian hats or caps seem to be the gist of what I've found when researching the clothing of that brigade. Gray naval clothing and flat caps are way over-done in today's reenacting arenas for CS sailors - I'd like to see much more plain wool overshirts, more Federal blue items, and more ersatz accoutrements such as canvas belts and painted canvas boxes and scabbards.
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    Tampa Bay History Center
    www.tampabayhistorycenter.org
    On Facebook at: Tampa Bay History Center Living History Programs

"The simplest things, done well, can carry a huge impact" - Karin Timour, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Ross L. Lamoreaux View Post
    I know Bobby can pipe in on this as well, but the crew of the CSS researching the clothing of that brigade. Gray naval clothing and flat caps are way over-done in today's reenacting arenas for CS sailors - I'd like to see much more plain wool overshirts, more Federal blue items, and more ersatz accoutrements such as canvas belts and painted canvas boxes and scabbards.
    Thanks Ross,
    That is what I was kinda thinking. To keep a quasi sailor look I'll add my neckerchief to a flannel shirt army depot jacket would a mechanics hat be appropriate in place of the flathat or just go with the flathat?

geo

There were also the transferr from CSS Chattahoochee that showed up in snazzy matching gray cassimere uniforms, IIRC but I will have to check my sources, with the white collar and cuffs that Catesby Jones had gone out of pocket for while he hd the short command of said vessel. But Ross nailed it, the Savannah Squadron was really a catch as catch can operation. Some of thier officers got in hot water early on for not wearing uniforms at all. Tattnal apparently went ballistic when he met one of the officers parading about in a black citizens frock. (this was early in the war too.... )

This was a pretty good read as well.......http://www.navyandmarine.org/histori.../csn_uniforms/
    Last edited by GaWildcat; 10-30-2013 at 10:07 PM.
    Bobby Hughes
    Co C, 3rd US Infantry

Quote Originally Posted by navygunner View Post
    GAWildcat you beat me to it I have a question for you. I have read Seaman Bacon's letters when he received his transfer to the CSS Savannah. How common would the naval dress jacket (monkey jacket) have been? I know the CSN had a polyglot of Fed/CSN/CSA uniforms depending on the year.I'm planning on attending the 150th Saylors Creek as part of Tuckers Brigade. I'm thinking on using one of the Southern depot shells in place of the monkey jacket. You thoughts greatly appreciated.

Geo. Dailey
    USNLP (western waters)
    Battery D 1st Michigan
    George,

If you havent read it, try and get your hand on The Best Station of Them All: The Savannah Squadron 1861-1865. by Dr. Maurice Melton. Outstanding book, and very very informative
    Bobby Hughes
    Co C, 3rd US Infantry

Bobby,
    Thanks. I've read the NMLHA article and most likely will add yet another book to my collection. LOL I don't often galvanize as confederate but I didn't want to go the total naval grey reb look. Guess it's that sailor "I'm different and better" attitude lol.
    Once again thanks to you and Ross.

Geo.

Navy is one of those great impressions where you can where the same uniform for both sides and largely be correct. For CS you can tweak it with more civilian attire, different caps and hats (to answer you from another post, yes a mechanics or round cap is a good choice, particularly if painted or tarred), but like all impressions, posting and timeframe are everything. Its widely noted by Robert Watson and other contemporaries that blue was the color of the sailor, no matter the side, so lots of things were being made from the blue cloth supplied in many places. Also something to note for later war use, what is often mistaken as gray for sailors was the imported blue/gray army cloth that was widely distributed.
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    Tampa Bay History Center
    www.tampabayhistorycenter.org
    On Facebook at: Tampa Bay History Center Living History Programs

"The simplest things, done well, can carry a huge impact" - Karin Timour, 2012

Wow, an overshirt or frock out of EAC would probably look pretty good to... **** it, there I go thinking again...gotta stop that, gets me in trouble too much.
    Bobby Hughes
    Co C, 3rd US Infantry