Thread: Options

Default Options

Folks,

It's been often said and understood that this forum is designed for the beginning living historian / reenactor (yes it gets experienced ones too); and the Authentic Campaigner is primarily for seasoned campaigners and is not designed for new people or any type of mainstream reenacting where research and research before posting is expected. Both of these formats are great for the audiences they are designed for; but what about something for the entire hobby?

I reached out to Ross Lamoreaux before posting and did get his official OK before posting this but I wanted to let everyone know of a smaller forum that has been around a while that caters to the entire hobby: the fresh fish, the campaigner, progressive, mainstreamer, hardcore, the civilian (in any level of the hobby), etc. It's called the Common Ground and has areas for every level of experience and every type of hobbyist. I don't want anyone to think it is a replacement for this or any other forum but something a little different and we invite you over to take a look at it and see if it may be another place you would like to sit at the table at. We do have a few common sense rules which you will need before you post and yes you do need to register and use your real first and last name but if you can be civil and not belittle or insult anyone or any method then you are welcome. We can be found at: http://www.thecommonground.proboards.com/index.cgi

The mods (of which I am one) are all experienced folks from the hobby, both military AND civilian who attend events regularly and support / understand there are different people who want different things from THEIR hobby. We look forward to seeing you over there.

Mods here, feel free to move if there is a forum you feel this better belongs in; I chose "whine cellar" as I wasn't sure where you felt this would be best at.
    Robert Collett
    8th FL / 13th IN
    Armory Guards
    WIG
    Common Ground forum http://www.thecommonground.proboards.com

Robert,
    I tried to check the site out, but it seems there is no way to preview it without registering for the site. I take it there is no way around that? I don't like having to sign up for something only to find out it's not for me. Thanks in advance.
    Sgt. Paul Wolbeck
    33rd AL

Pvt. Ezra Walker
    36th OH, Co G Salem Light Guards

Yes you do have to register but it is of course free of charge. All the registration asks for is for you to create a username, password, e-mail acct (to let you know you've been activated), birthday, and gender (we really don't care about the birthday and gender but it satisfies legal stuff), one of the "please enter what you see below" to prevent spam bots and agree to TOS. No commitment and if it's not for you we don't bother you with any e-mails or anything like that.
    Robert Collett
    8th FL / 13th IN
    Armory Guards
    WIG

Although I'm a moderator here, I encourage everyone to check out Common Ground. They offer perspectives on things you dont see everywhere. The mods and frequent contributors also contribute a lot on this forum and thats a good thing as well
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    Tampa Bay History Center
    www.tampabayhistorycenter.org
    On Facebook at: Tampa Bay History Center Living History Programs

"The simplest things, done well, can carry a huge impact" - Karin Timour, 2012

I post here, and lurk on the AC. If you look at my post count there, it's less than 1/3rd of here. Although I appreciate the level of research they do there, I just don't have the time to keep up. I do consult my references sometimes, but a lot of the time I post what I can remember. I look at this forum more like a cyber-campfire or dinner table conversation, not necesarily at the beginner level but more emphasizing conversation over against research.
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty

As an example of what you'll find on the Common Ground Forum, there's an excellent AAR of the Cedar Creek reeanactment by Mike Schaffner. (It's too long for this Forum)
    Bill Rodman, If you need a really bad example.
    King of Prussia, PA
    wrodman1@aol.com

Thanks Ross.

By the way, there should be a way to view the Common Ground as a guest as well, you just won't be able to post. www.thecommonground.proboards.com

If you leave the "index" on there it takes you to the login page.

Let me know if that does not work and I'll see if I can figure out why.
    Robert Collett
    8th FL / 13th IN
    Armory Guards
    WIG

Robert,

My memory is that the Common Ground was made non-viewable as a Guest several years ago. It's in your software somewhere.

I lost access in some upgrade or another and never got time to mend it.
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

The Common Ground is actually in it's fourth incarnation and has survived many servers. My very close friend Eric Tipton started up on the old MSN forums about ten years ago as "The Reenactors Congress" and then changed it The Common Ground shortly after that. Then we tied in with the old Camp Chase forum and I took it from there. That server was yanked out from under me after about two years. I then developed my own forum on AceBoard, then moved it over to ProBoards about four years ago. It does have a history to it, but it is a quiet little place where common interests with civil conversation happen about our wonderful hobby. My mods have been with me for a long time now. If you are having problems getting on there, please let me know. We'd love to have you visit.
    Ken Cornett
    Mess No. 1
    www.mess1.homestead.com