Thread: Unit flag remake

Default Unit flag remake

Looking for a vendor to remake our original unit guidon.. It is linsey-woolsey painted/printed flag.. Art. Guidon 002.jpg
    Rob Frost
    4th Indiana Light Artillery

Utilize the search function on here and you'll find several posts discussing flag vendors. I'm also going to go out on a ledge and say that original appears to be wool bunting and not linsey woolsy based on the smoothness in the warp and weft. LW usually has uneven threads (shlub) from the flax in the linen.
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    Tampa Bay History Center
    www.tampabayhistorycenter.org
    On Facebook at: Tampa Bay History Center Living History Programs

"The simplest things, done well, can carry a huge impact" - Karin Timour, 2012

From the photo, I tend to agree with Ross on the material.

Also, this does not appear to be a Guidon, which should be 2"3" X 3"5" by U.S. Army Regulations Section 1441.

It could be a late war Stars and Stripes Camp Color/Flank Marker.
    It appears to have a pole hem so that the fly width is 18" per U.S. Army Regulations Section1439.

Larry Keener-Farley
    Camp Curtin Historical Society

I found Bill Dallin's webpage from previous posts.. Unfortunately this is the only surviving 4th IN Art flag we can go by. The Indiana Historical Society in Indianapolis has quite a few exactly like this from other Indiana Artillery units.. We had the privilege a few years back of getting in to see them. The 19th's flag is an exact copy.
    Rob Frost

I would agree that this is a US camp marker flag. Fairly generic and common, they saw wide spread issues later in the war regardless of branch or state of origin. Unfortunately these in particular were actually printed flags, not sewn together nor painted. Im not aware of anyone reproducing these at present.
    Lieut Frederick Sineth
    14th Virginia Infantry Regt Co.I
    - 106th Penna Vol Co.F

- Pegrams Va Artillery
    - 150th Sailors Creek

Ben Tart...may be worth a try. Drop him a line. http://www.bnbtart.com/index.html

Tried Ben already... It is a "printed" or painted flag and Ben doesn't do that at this time. He said maybe by the 1st of the year they would have that option up and running. But thanks for the tip.
    Rob Frost

I have seen these flags in person through an arranged viewing at the war memorial. I had with me the museum curator, a period materials and sewing guru, and of course me(not as qualified as them). It is absolutely linsey-woolsey.

Phil Coleman
    19th Indiana Light Artillery

Also, after conversation with both the War Memorial curator here in Indy, I was referred to a gentleman who is the curator at the Army History museum at West Point. I am sorry but his name escapes me right now. He is apparently a historical flag guru. This is a "guidon" flag that volunteer batteries in Indiana would have used. It is printed and not painted. I had a very long conversation with this gentleman, and he clearly is the flag guru his peers suggest that he is.

Phil Coleman
    19th Indiana Light Artillery

US "guidons", for both Cavalry and Artillery after January 1862 bore the national stars & stripes. were swallowtailed, sewn stripes, and painted stars... normally in gold, in two concentric circles, with additional stars in the corners. These were about 27" x 41". Many also had unit or company/battery ID, and sometimes battle credits painted on the stripes as was authorized in 1863.

US "Camp Markers", also used the stars & stripes per 1862 regs. However these issued flags were much smaller, squared, entirely printed, stars normally in rows, usually found per regs sized about 18" x 18".

The flag in the above photo is clearly printed, is square not swallowtail, the ruler at the bottom of the picture underneath the flag clearly shows its about 18" length on the fly (less the pole sleeve). Ive seen and examined many dozens of these in various collections and it is indeed a later war camp marker flag. If someone issued it, or utilized it for another purpose other than that, it could be possible. But it doesnt alter what it actually is. (another vexiology guru)
    Lieut Frederick Sineth
    14th Virginia Infantry Regt Co.I
    - 106th Penna Vol Co.F

- Pegrams Va Artillery
    - 150th Sailors Creek