Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not Whining just Wonder?

Anybody who was a member of the Authentic campaigner Facebook page can tell you what a train wreck that was. With a page like that, too many people "stumble" on it, join, and try to jump right in and dominate it. It was downright funny at times, tragic at others. Most often question asked was "what does authentic campaigner mean?" A great percentage of people on there had no idea, nor any desire to "progress", and would get mad as heck if you even insinuated it. Forums like this one serve a wider group, but also offer more controls to avoid "unintentional trolls" as I call them. (Intentional ones too). It's a little less harsh on the beginner. The AC meets the needs of many of us as well, but not for everyone.

As far as the "demise" of the hobby, and the selling off off gear due to "whatever". I choose to see this as a "concentration" of the hobby. Yes, I do feel terrible for the fellas who have to sell off gear to pay the bills, but that's how it goes sometimes. There was also bound to be a sell off after Gettysburg and the early, more "popular" 150th cycle events.

And blankets...I'll NEVER have too many!! As well as most other pieces of kit that I have multiple duplicates of. I'm not a man of means, but I'm fortunate to have another hobby that generates a good bit of pocket money for me. But I ever do hit a rough patch, I'll sell off what I have to to take care of my family. After I sell blood and other non-essential body parts that is!!

Just my .02.

Trace Scalf
    Last edited by Provost-ADC; 10-28-2013 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Modern political commentary removed.

Hallo!

In my experience...

Of the dozen or so boards/fora in three centuries I moderate, frequent, or post on.. I do see a decline in numbers of posts and replies across all of them.
    Some that used to average dozens of new posts and even more replies each day now go several days or weeks without new activity. And where it used to take 3-4 hours a day to read and clear them all, it is now down to 15-30 minutes.

AND, some times the greatest activity is in the WTS for-sale listings.

When asked about the decline or changes, responses inevitably cover some of the same themes or observations:

1. a general cyclical decline in Reenacting and Living History numbers attributed to the aging of the Baby Boomer Generation who are not being replaced in equal or greater numbers by Generations X, Y, and Millennials
    2. a general cyclical decline in Reenacting and Living History numbers attributed to the past 13 years or so of economic decline, inflation, and the rise of costs in general as well as related to the value of the U.S. Dollar versus the Euro
    3. a general cyclical decline in Reenacting and Living History numbers attributed to a younger, Not Your Father's, form of social media away from mega message boards and over to smaller more unit or mess based Facebook tech where the focus is more intimate and the control over "outsiders'' and cyber type "bullies" is greater

and as most everyone who has "been around' long enough to have seen and lived through them, the normal historical up-and-down rhythmic cycles of reenacting over time in general and around the "magic" of "Anniversary Events."

IMHO still, and I would back it up by other lads comments about their visiting and posting less in favor of more an dmore just "lurking" and only occasionally reading.. that many lads have become either:

1. consumers instead of contributors

or

2. sellers or "mongers" of clothing and kit

And as a result daily post counts, here , there, and nearly everywhere are down.

Others' boards and fora, and mileage will vary...

Curt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

Not a real Civil War reenactor, I only portray one on boards and fora.
    I do not portray a Civil War soldier, I merely interpret one.

It also has to be said that some of these Civil War forums are totally non-friendly to new people, and are overtly hostile to questions. Maybe it's gotten to the point that unless you are going to ask something completely esoteric you're better off holding your tongue lest you incur the wrath of the "do your own research or use the search function" crowd. Maybe people finally did get the message and are now just searching and reading instead of discussing.

Steve
    Steve Sheldon

Quote Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post
    It also has to be said that some of these Civil War forums are totally non-friendly to new people, and are overtly hostile to questions. Maybe it's gotten to the point that unless you are going to ask something completely esoteric you're better off holding your tongue lest you incur the wrath of the "do your own research or use the search function" crowd. Maybe people finally did get the message and are now just searching and reading instead of discussing.

Steve

Steve

It's better here now than the past. If you had a cooler and a wall tent, some folks thought and still do I'm sure wanted you to get out of the Hobby and start camping at the KOA. They the Mod's have done a lot to calm down that rude behavior. Most but not all that post here have the CPH mind set. Their choice as MS has always been mine. It be hard to get two Cannons to anywhere without the F-350. Maybe I should have gone Infantry. Small car and a rifle, having said that. We all enjoy the Hobby for different reasons, and we all take a different approach. This forum has gone a long way toward inclusion of that individual choice and approach.

Always

Doug Thomas
    Lyons Battery CS
    Kentucky

68qt.Coolermess.com
    Holding on the High ground

It's better here now than the past.
    It's awesome here. I was not talking about this forum.

Steve
    Steve Sheldon

Curt,

I'll have to agree with you on the 'consumers rather than contributors'. This morning our statistics are pretty typical, with unique 'guest' viewers outnumbering logged in members nearly two to one. Evenings, that statistic often runs five to one.

That produces frustration too when a 'viewer' decides to finally join. We've streamlined the process considerably over what it was several years ago, but that also means that moderators have to moderate more heavily. Rather than proving one is a legitimate poster in the sign up process, one proves it by posting a number of well worded discussion posts.

Thus, when Joe FreshFish comes on, reads awhile, and finally signs up on the very day he wants to buy something really cool-----well, a moderator has to be on, and approve his post. That's not always the case, and Joe FreshFish misses his opportunity. Then he's up in the 'contact the moderator' mailbox saying 'why can't I post?'.

Meanwhile, the moderator is also mopping up spam posts that the general population does not see, precisely because they are moderated

Then there is Sam GettingOut, who has likely even been out awhile, but now wants to sell his stuff, and who has never had an account here. No, he's not interested in discussion, he wants to sell 50 items right now on a first post and not even take the time to read the forum rules.

And of course there is Ezra PitchedOffAnotherForum who wants to continue whatever crusade he had going there.

Each of those folks take up a good bit of moderating time. Thankfully the vast majority of forum members just want to talk about Civil War reenacting. That's fun.
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster View Post
    Curt,

I'll have to agree with you on the 'consumers rather than contributors'. This morning our statistics are pretty typical, with unique 'guest' viewers outnumbering logged in members nearly two to one. Evenings, that statistic often runs five to one.
    I generally stop by at least once a day, but I don't always log in. Often I scan the headlines, and see if there is an update to a topic I'm following. If there is, and I want to add to the discussion, I'll log in. Guess I'm guilty of skewing the stats, huh?

Frank Brower