In my experience...
Of the dozen or so boards/fora in three centuries I moderate, frequent, or post on.. I do see a decline in numbers of posts and replies across all of them.
Some that used to average dozens of new posts and even more replies each day now go several days or weeks without new activity. And where it used to take 3-4 hours a day to read and clear them all, it is now down to 15-30 minutes.
AND, some times the greatest activity is in the WTS for-sale listings.
When asked about the decline or changes, responses inevitably cover some of the same themes or observations:
1. a general cyclical decline in Reenacting and Living History numbers attributed to the aging of the Baby Boomer Generation who are not being replaced in equal or greater numbers by Generations X, Y, and Millennials
2. a general cyclical decline in Reenacting and Living History numbers attributed to the past 13 years or so of economic decline, inflation, and the rise of costs in general as well as related to the value of the U.S. Dollar versus the Euro
3. a general cyclical decline in Reenacting and Living History numbers attributed to a younger, Not Your Father's, form of social media away from mega message boards and over to smaller more unit or mess based Facebook tech where the focus is more intimate and the control over "outsiders'' and cyber type "bullies" is greater
and as most everyone who has "been around' long enough to have seen and lived through them, the normal historical up-and-down rhythmic cycles of reenacting over time in general and around the "magic" of "Anniversary Events."
IMHO still, and I would back it up by other lads comments about their visiting and posting less in favor of more an dmore just "lurking" and only occasionally reading.. that many lads have become either:
1. consumers instead of contributors
2. sellers or "mongers" of clothing and kit
And as a result daily post counts, here , there, and nearly everywhere are down.
Others' boards and fora, and mileage will vary...
In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt
Not a real Civil War reenactor, I only portray one on boards and fora.
I do not portray a Civil War soldier, I merely interpret one.