Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Current Unfortunate Situation at Our National Parks

I was just waiting to see how long it was before this thread went south -- so to speak.
    M. A. Schaffner
    Midstream Regressive Complainer

To be fair, Mr. Schaffner, this thread stayed dry for 11 posts which, considering the subject matter, is remarkable.
    Scott Lawalin
    Pvt., 49th Indiana

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; [then] beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours." - General Sir James Napier

Actually I have been quite vocal and active in this particular matter as all of my Congressmen and Senators and others will attest. I just refrain from doing it here, thank you.
    A.Redd
    Andy Redd

OK fellers, let's keep modern politics out. There is nothing wrong with discussing things (as long as it's a healthy discussion) that may affect our national parks where "we" may be involved in/at ... but let's keep your personal views of politics out of the discussion. From this point on, personal political views will deleted ... and if necessary, the entire thread possibly face closure (but let's not get to that point please ... with respect to OP ... as well as those offering a good dialogue on the topic).
    I Remain, Your Obedient Servant,
    Jimmy "Doc" Nelson
    Moderator (well, sometimes . . hehehe )
    ** We have Rules here! **

Daylight Lodge # 760 F&AM
    Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonels

In honor of my 3rd Great Grandfather: "John Daniel Nelson", Surgeon, 4th Georgia Infantry, CSA

All this being considered...
    Its kinda nice that Perryville is a state park and remains unaffected.

By and large, the inaccessibility of these sites to the general public isn't the worst thing for a short while. These historic sites are a resource of which we must be good custodians, first and foremost. If staff is reduced to the point where they cannot ensure security AND accommodate visitors, I would prefer that the sites, relics, buildings, monuments, etc. remain safe.
    John Wickett
    Carpetbagger

Mt. Vernon, which is privately owned, is open, but there's nowhere to park because they co-own the parking lots with the NPS, which came in and put up barricades. I hope this is all over soon.

Bob Martin
    Chesapeake Volunteer Guard
    Company A "Chesapeake Rifles"

rli7275 Guest

Last time the Government shut down in '95 or '96 we were at Gettysburg for Remembrance Day. We were on the field most of the day. There were Rangers were around and not a single issue that I know of. It was actually pretty crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyHallVols View Post
    All this being considered...
    Its kinda nice that Perryville is a state park and remains unaffected.

By and large, the inaccessibility of these sites to the general public isn't the worst thing for a short while. These historic sites are a resource of which we must be good custodians, first and foremost. If staff is reduced to the point where they cannot ensure security AND accommodate visitors, I would prefer that the sites, relics, buildings, monuments, etc. remain safe.
    The first part of the mission is to preserve the site. Looking at it from your perspective, closure is the better option. I really just wish it didn't have to be. I am surprised and proud of how grown up we've all managed to be in the course of our discussion of this subject. We might have futures as role models after all.
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty

Quote Originally Posted by Choatecav View Post
    Yes, it is concerning on many fronts.

Our cavalry unit is to do a living history and Cav demonstration at Stones River, in Murfreesboro, on the first weekend in November. I spoke a few days ago with Craig's (and my) friend, Jim Lewis, who works there and it is all up in the air at this point. Really a tough thing in so many ways.

Just my rambling thoughts......

Mark
    I think these matters will be resolved by the first weekend in November. Technically though your Cavalry program is "up in the air."
    I am still wondering how you got your horse and trailer rig out of Chickamauga two weekends ago. I think the STRI volunteer crew is
    off until the anniversary programs in Dec/Jan. All we do is US/CS infantry and artillery, but I may come out to see the horse show
    if it happens.

Lewis was pictured in uniform in the local paper leaning into a car window telling a visitor the park was closed. I wrote him to say the country was
    in worse trouble than I thought if he was among those considered "essential personnel."
    Craig L Barry

Author: The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy