Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brogans

Default Brogans

can anyone recommend a seller for good brogans? I see a wide range of prices on the internet. obviously the super cheap ones will be just that. I have seen several in the 100-125 dollar range and a few upwards from there. does anyone know who actually makes their own? I figured a few probably do but most just resell from a maker.

on another thought rough outer vs smooth? seems rough is current trend in reenacting but I've read where many were smooth back then.
    kinda like the peg sole, everyone seems to want pegged but I've read where pegged were not as common as sewn on the originals

I'd start with Missouri Boot and Shoe or Robert Land. Mattimore Harness is right up there too. I think most would agree they're among the best makers around today. Yes, your are correct. Pegged soles cost the government more per pair than sewn soles. And, without actual documentation, I'm pretty sure sewn soles were more common.
    Eli Heagy
    187th PV

We welcome any and all new members and visitors, come see us:

http://thecommonground.proboards.com/

Along with the above, Robert Land is also good.
    A decent sutler row shoe is made by Fall Creek Suttlery.
    Bernard Biederman
    30th OVI
    Co. B

Doc. B.,

Are fall Creek's Bootee's from Fugwee?
    Eli Heagy
    187th PV

We welcome any and all new members and visitors, come see us:

http://thecommonground.proboards.com/

Hallo!

"on another thought rough outer vs smooth? seems rough is current trend in reenacting but I've read where many were smooth back then."

That is somewhat more of a reenactorism than history.

The uppers on original shoes were made of flesh (aka "rough") side out waxed oak-tanned leather which in Period tanneries was a much thinner, stronger, and able to hide flaws leather than what is used now. "French Dressed" or Waxed" leather was made by using tallow, oil, and beeswax to produce a flexible and water resistant. It had an outer surface that was smooth more or less, to take a shoe polish.. but still tough/rough enough to resist scratching.

When shoes started to be reproduced for reenacting, reenactors read 'rough' wanted rough. And the early makers met that demand and produced (so-called) Frankenstein boots with VERY coarse and fuzzy stiff untreated leather. With the rise of "authenticity" minded lads in the late 1980's and early 1990s', some lads were burning or sanding off the long fuzzies to try to get a more CW looking shoe.

Anyways, some lads look at original shoes, and mistake Period waxed flesh (rough) side for grain (smooth).

"kinda like the peg sole, everyone seems to want pegged but I've read where pegged were not as common as sewn on the originals '

Overall, for the Civil War the U.S. Quartermaster Department purchased more sewn/sewed shoes However, it is interesting that different arsenals did different things such as Philadelphia purchasing 3,231,647 pairs of sewed and NO pegged sold shoes while NY collected 2,759,900 sewn versus 363,880 pegged. Or Cincinnati 6,082, 297 sewn and 2,199,339.

IMHO, one of the larger factors in that is whether or not arsenals/depots or contractors had shoe machines or not (shoes are found with hand sewn, machine sewn, and pegged soles).

And last, is the issue or whether it matters or not to the buyer, whether the repro shoes have or do not have pattern and pieces parts that look more like the original CW shoes versus the Frankenstein boots of the 1980's. Normally, usually, generally, the cheapest of the shoes are foreign approximations derived from looking at other reproduction shoes not originals in any way and simplifying things to make a product that can be made quickly and above all very cheaply.

Curt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

Not a real Civil War reenactor, I only portray one on boards and fora.
    I do not portray a Civil War soldier, I merely interpret one.

I would spend the extra money up front for better brogans. I've gone the cheap route and didn't help my bad knees any. Best money I've spent is two pair of Robert Land that I bought off this forum (one civilian/CS and the other military). It helps buying the good stuff first instead of spending extra on several so-so.
    Fritz Jacobs
    CPT, QM, USAR (Ret)
    VP Kentucky Soldiers Aide Society
    CPTFritz@aol.com

Like others have said, don't scrimp on the brogans; your feet will appreciate it. I lean toward Missouri Boot & Shoe, mainly because they require that you send them tracings of your feet and other measurements so the fit will be right for your feet. Their workmanship is excellent and the footwear accurate. And they were easy to deal with. There are other good quality folks out there, but I have never been disappointed with MBS.
    Andy Redd
    Last edited by reddcorp; 10-02-2013 at 05:18 PM. Reason: add
    Andy Redd

Can't say enough good things about MB&S. Products including footwear are excellent and the customer service before and after the sale can't be beat. If you live near Missouri, it's worth the trip to get a personal fitting and get to know Robert.

Joe Musgrove
    "I fight for Uncle Abe"

thanks for all the input especially Curt.

now yet another question..........
    proper sizing for said shoe? I know you said Missouri wants a tracing of the foot. but if I went another route is there a good rule of thumb about up sizing to allow for sock thickness? I realize no two companies will likely offer the same size even if marked as so. im asking should I come across a used pair online.

Does one hold up better than the other? (Pegged or sewn)
    1st Sergt 2nd USSS Co. C
    "My plans are perfect, and when I start to carry them out, may God have mercy on Bobby Lee, for I shall have none."
    General 'Fighting' Joe Hooker