Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heel Plates

Default Heel Plates

What is the correct way to have heal plates installed? Surface or inlet mounted?
    1st Sergt 2nd USSS Co. C
    "My plans are perfect, and when I start to carry them out, may God have mercy on Bobby Lee, for I shall have none."
    General 'Fighting' Joe Hooker

heel plates weren't issued with brogans. Anywho, they're used by re'nacters more because of the expense of the shoe, helps them last longer. Although, re'nactors would pay $100 for a pair of sneakers that will last a year in a heartbeat, I digress...

however, both ways are correct. you see more inletted on original boots.
    Eli Heagy
    187th PV

We welcome any and all new members and visitors, come see us:

http://thecommonground.proboards.com/

Thank you sir. I was planning on going with boots. I am reading more and more of solders who had boots sent,brought boots from home when on furlough or bought when they had enough money.
    1st Sergt 2nd USSS Co. C
    "My plans are perfect, and when I start to carry them out, may God have mercy on Bobby Lee, for I shall have none."
    General 'Fighting' Joe Hooker

I would like to know more about this topic.

I always assumed heel plates were nailed to the bottom of the heel. I'm guessing this is what is meant by "on the surface".

Are you saying that you cut a channel for the plates to be recessed in?

Did the heel plate outer profile match the outer profile of the heel itself, so you would cut a "step" around the outside of the heel rather than a "channel" for them to sit in?

Does anyone have a picture?

My brogans have no heel plates and consequently the heels have worn down after just a couple of years of monthly use. I've considered heel plates though I worry about being able to wear them indoors afterwards - they'd scratch the crap out of my laminate floors at home.

Steve
    Steve Sheldon

Eli Heagy
    187th PV

We welcome any and all new members and visitors, come see us:

http://thecommonground.proboards.com/

I didn't mess around with my brogans. I installed "Southern Rubber" on the heels and soles. No more slipin and slidin, or wet feet from the dew. I know, I know, I'll hear about it, but they are my feet.

Rebel Dave
    Dave Christensen
    14th Miss in N-SSA
    66 N.C. in ACWSA

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Dave View Post
    I didn't mess around with my brogans. I installed "Southern Rubber" on the heels and soles. No more slipin and slidin, or wet feet from the dew. I know, I know, I'll hear about it, but they are my feet.

Rebel Dave

Can I get some info on the "Southern Rubber"? Sounds like it might be interesting to a fellow confederate infantryman.

Christopher
    19th LA Volunteer Infantry

Another use for duct tape. Put in on your heels before coming into the house. Or, just take off your brogans on the back stoop as I do.
    A. Redd
    Andy Redd

Default "Southern Rubber"

From the sounds of it, it's just a thin non-skid coating. Any good shoe repair place should be able to do it - my local one carries a number of different products. Just tell them that you want a thin, non-skid coating ans they'll show you what they have.

I've used something called "Cat's Paw" on mocassins with good results. When I got my first pair of new brogans, I had it put on them. Fortunately they weren't good brogans, because I found that I absolutely hated it - it made drilling/facings much more difficult because of the "stick". Not long after, and partially prompted by that (and partially that they were a bit too small), I got a pair of good Robert Land brogans and am very happy to be with "just" the issue sole/plates.

Calum
    Calum Munro

5th Virginia Infantry, Co H
    http://5thvacompanyh.webs.com

Christopher
    I took the brogans to a good shoe repair shop, and had them oversole them, with a minnie vibram rubber sole. It holds up well and is indescrete, unless your walking with your head on the ground.

Rebel Dave
    Dave Christensen
    14th Miss in N-SSA
    66 N.C. in ACWSA